Green Tomato Pie

LadyMarlin

R.I.P.
SAY WHAT ????

I watched the food network last friday and my favorite chef made up this pie. I know green tomato pie sounds yucky.
But guess what?....It is delightfully good.

It is easy to make and takes everyone by surprise with it's
unique flavor.
There are several recipes on the food network using tomatoes, some ripe, some green.
I just had to try this one as we have an ample supply of green tomatoes right now.

This first picture shows how nice the top crust looks. Brushed it with egg white and sprinkled on white sugar.

tomatopie1.jpg

This picture shows a large section of the pie cut away and a saucer with a slice that has the tomatoes pulled out for better viewing. Yes they stayed green! Don't let those small dark things fool ya, they are raisins. You could replace them with pecans, I suppose if you don't like raisins. But I figured the raisins added some sweetness to the pie filling.
IMG_0006.jpg

This is a close up picture of this amazing new pie.
If you are interested in the recipe, you can find it on the food network under Paula Deen's Green Tomatoe Pie. It is the first one listed and contains less ingredients than the other.

slice.jpg

If you want something different to do with those green tomatoes, I suggest you give this pie a chance. Even hubby liked it and he isn't a big pie eater.
Oh, it does qualify as a dessert.

WTM

my mawmaw used to make these green and red tomatoes. they are so good!!!!!!!!!!! if you dont believe tndoe that they are good try this, slice a homegrown red tomato and sprinkle with sugar.

green doe

Sounds and looks delicious tndoe! But I don't make pies. I'll have to tell you the story about the last time I made a pie if I haven't already. Let's just say that my sister-in-law hasn't looked at me the same way since.

LadyMarlin

R.I.P.
Actually WTM, I mixed a teaspoon of white sugar in with regular flour.

I am not a fan of tapioca. I'm sure the tapicoa is to make the filling thicker. you might could try a lil corn starch. The juice from the tomatoes wasn't thick enough to my likening.
But that is what I get for 'messing' with Paula's recipe.

:)

WTM

tndoe said:
Actually WTM, I mixed a teaspoon of white sugar in with regular flour.

I am not a fan of tapioca. I'm sure the tapicoa is to make the filling thicker. you might could try a lil corn starch. The juice from the tomatoes wasn't thick enough to my likening.
But that is what I get for 'messing' with Paula's recipe.

:)

ok thanks.

LadyMarlin

R.I.P.
Ah muddy creek and panther, you ole fuddie duddies.
Step out on a limb and try something new for a change.
uhhhh....an eatable change that is.
;)

Latest posts