Rosca De Tamal (Tamale Pie)

TAFKAP

Watched the video after I comment. Definitely not InstaPotting that one......I hate that thing. A chuck roast in a low & slow Dutch oven is going to put off a lot of liquid.

TAFKAP

If the Hatchie keeps rising like I expect it to, I think I'm going to have more free time this weekend than I initially planned. Might be on the menu at the TAFKAP house as well......we may even thaw out a venison roast to do it.

BamaProud

gIq5ydx.jpg

nOJkxo0.jpg

BamaProud

It turned out somewhere between really good an fantastic.

First, she (Claudia the gal in the video)may be hot but she is a liar!

I followed the recipe almost exactly for my first attempt. This recipe was advertised as 1/2 the time as it takes to make traditional Tamales(so I was
thinking about 4-5hours). It took me 9 hours. However, I don't have an insta-pot and decided to use my crock pot. Next time I'll use a Dutch oven on the stovetop. That would likely shave off an hour or more. Also after going through the process once, I 'm pretty sure I could prepare the masa while pulling the meat and maybe some additional multi-tasking. That would save another 30-45 min's, maybe more.

As far as taste, I think the masa needs more salt and maybe a couple teaspoons of cayenne pepper. I'd probably cut back 1/2 cup of H20 in the Masa. I'd probably add another Chile Ancho and a couple more diabolo chile's.
Its a solid baseline recipe though.

The only thing I did different is after the steaming, I popped it in the oven for 15 min's on 450 to brown Pie just bit. here's a picture before I put it in the oven.
nNNOevt.jpg

TAFKAP

Your modification definitely looks a lot better. Thanks for the groundwork. Mrs. TAFKAP wants to try this too, but determined it to be WAYYY too much work for just a casual attempt. We've even talked about trying to do the meat much earlier (like days ahead) and prep the masa on the day-of.

Insta-pot is junk for me to begin with, and we would definitely cook the roast to our own tried & true methods anyway. I'll definitely follow your seasoning guidance

BamaProud

I did't use all of the meat because I felt like I was over-filling the pie. The "trench" method she used didn't work well for me, maybe because my masa was a little too thin. (hence my suggestion of using 1/2 cup less water). When I cut into it, it was obvious that I should have forced more meat into it. But I did keep the extra meat and have just been warming up a little to go on the side when I cut a slice.

I'd also recommend making more sauce to use while eating. It is moist, but a little extra sauce on the side never hurts any dish IMO.

Latest posts