Green chillis

BigRod

My new co workers introduced me to fresh green Chillis from Hatch New Mexico. We spent the evening roasting them on the grill to make real salsa.
20210811_204417.jpg
20210811_213624.jpg

Omega

I would travel to Denver to see my mom, and we would bring back a bushel of hatch chilies, and a few dozen tamales. My wife makes a nice green chili for smothered burritos, which before she got the recipe, was another "must do" when we reached Denver.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
One reason I'm looking forward to Trader Joe's opening in Chattanooga is getting a reliable source of green chile salsa. Stuff just takes tacos and fried eggs to another level.

But I doubt it's as good as what you're making.

BigRod

Local Kroger has them for .99 a pound my buddy got a bushel today for 35 bucks. Green chili, onion, garlic, green tomatoes, pork, and a few other things. We shall have some good tex mex

gtk

Staff member
they are everywhere out here. and delicious. we put them in everything, from scrambled eggs to burgers.

my son loves hot stuff, and he got a bag of "extra hot" ones along with bag of "regular" ones, from the dude selling them in the gas station parking lot.

somehow, we got them all mixed up when freezing. We have spent the past few months never knowing what the next bite will bring, either pain or taste bud delight.

JCDEERMAN

Ya'll are making me hungry. I made salsa and canned it the other night. Wish I had added some of these peppers to roast to add to it. Salsa was made from tomatoes and jalapenos from my garden. How spicy are they?

Omega

they are everywhere out here. and delicious. we put them in everything, from scrambled eggs to burgers.

my son loves hot stuff, and he got a bag of "extra hot" ones along with bag of "regular" ones, from the dude selling them in the gas station parking lot.

somehow, we got them all mixed up when freezing. We have spent the past few months never knowing what the next bite will bring, either pain or taste bud delight.
You out in CO? It must be about time for the streets to start smelling great from the roasted chilis. It took some years for me to figure out that the dynamite chilies were actually from Pueblo. They are a bit too hot for me, but we ended up with a bushel from my mom who accidentally purchased them. Had to mix them with the hatch chilies to tone them down a bit. Like 2:1 or 3:1, and still came out a bit hotter than normal. Some say there is a difference, but I can't taste it, they both make fantastic green chili for smothered burritos and tamales.
fmttrdM.jpg

JCDEERMAN

I would travel to Denver to see my mom, and we would bring back a bushel of hatch chilies, and a few dozen tamales. My wife makes a nice green chili for smothered burritos, which before she got the recipe, was another "must do" when we reached Denver.
I'll be in Denver in 3 weeks. Any recommendations? Where to get hatch chilies and tomales? Or are you saying your mom made them?

Omega

I'll be in Denver in 3 weeks. Any recommendations? Where to get hatch chilies and tomales? Or are you saying your mom made them?
I got my chilies around Federal Blvd and 6th Ave, on the right when driving south. My mom made great tamales, but I lost her last Dec. I do have a number to a guy that sells tamales, delicious tamales, out of his van in a parking lot of Big Lots. He is first come first serve so normally you have to be there early to get any. I buy so many that he asked me to call him, so he can make me some.

gtk

Staff member
You out in CO? It must be about time for the streets to start smelling great from the roasted chilis. It took some years for me to figure out that the dynamite chilies were actually from Pueblo.
Yes, I'm in Monument. I believe there is a green chili festival that starts soon in Pueblo. I've never eaten grilled chillies until i moved out here,and didnt know what i was missing. Love them.

Omega

Yes, I'm in Monument. I believe there is a green chili festival that starts soon in Pueblo. I've never eaten grilled chillies until i moved out here,and didnt know what i was missing. Love them.
I was supposed to end up at Fort Carson for my last duty station, but the guys at Fort Campbell had priority, so here I am. I still have some family in Denver, the Springs and in the San Luis Valley, Blanca.

I didn't get into hatch chilis until my mom told me what she used in the tamales; not sure I will make the trip this year though, but my wife's brother is in Denver so it may still happen. If I do, I'll be sure to stock upon chilis and tamales again, just can't beat them, I love how they smell as they're being roasted, specially when they add a few cloves of garlic, which I always have them add.

Gronk

Tamales were mentioned, so I'll just ask….how come only 1 out of dozens of Mexican restaurants I've tried can make a decent tamale?

When I worked in the Nashville area, we had a sizable percentage of employees that were Latin American. About every other Thursday some of the women would let you know they were making tamales for Friday at $2 a piece. I was never disappointed. Not sure what chiles they used and honestly didn't care

Omega

Tamales were mentioned, so I'll just ask….how come only 1 out of dozens of Mexican restaurants I've tried can make a decent tamale?

When I worked in the Nashville area, we had a sizable percentage of employees that were Latin American. About every other Thursday some of the women would let you know they were making tamales for Friday at $2 a piece. I was never disappointed. Not sure what chiles they used and honestly didn't care
Well, I can give you my opinion; it's the masa, the "dough" used to encapsulate the meat. It is too hard to do at home, well, not hard but tedious, and the one you can purchase at most stores around here, masarina or maseca usually, while ok, just doesn't taste the same.

They use lye or lime to soak the dried corn to make the hominy to grind, add the lard and other ingredients to make the masa. In Denver, many Mexican stores sell the pre-made masa. And then there is the chili, some just don't have the recipe right, they are ok, but just lack that authentic taste. We can make decent ones, but it is a tedious process to make from scratch, even with masarina, so it's usually during Christmas or Thanksgiving when we are all together that we even venture to make any. So we stock up anytime we are in Denver, my wife and I still have family out there, so I guess we will still be making the trip now and then, but not every year like when I had my mom there.

gtk

Staff member
I was supposed to end up at Fort Carson for my last duty station, but the guys at Fort Campbell had priority, so here I am. I still have some family in Denver, the Springs and in the San Luis Valley, Blanca.
I believe the San Luis Valley is one of the most beautiful places in this state. Some terrific hunting there too.

GMB54

There are numerous varieties of "Anaheim" peppers grown in Hatch. The climate seems to give them a bit different flavor. Big Jim or Big Jim Heritage being one of my favorites. Both are in the middle heat range but often on the milder side. The crop is very seasonal with maybe a month window if you want fresh peppers.

Sandia and Sandia Select are another good one they grow there. Also a mid/upper heat variety. Barker hot or extra hots are the next step up. Ive grown all of them except the Barkers but my climate is far more humid and nights are often hot/humid.

Pam

Haven't been in awhile. When Tim and I went antelope hunting late August in New Mexico if the time was right they were roasting the green chilies. We brought a ton back and froze them but we are out now lol.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
Picked some up at Food City the other day. Roasted and peeled them and made a breakfast casserole. Really good in a tortilla. Smoky.

Latest posts