Turnip green soup

DoubleRidge

Sounded odd to me but we gave it a try and really liked it. Very hearty soup and a skillet of corn bread goes well as a side.

16 ounce sausage (spicy or regular)
1 can turnip greens
1 can diced potatoes
1 can navy beans
1 can black eye peas
1 can kidney beans
1 can Rotel
Half yellow onion diced

Brown sausage in soup pot...with onion.
Add all canned ingredients with all contents of can...don't drain.

We added some chicken stock to make it more soupy.

Salt and pepper to taste.

Attachments

• IMG_20201221_172615409~2.jpg
    IMG_20201221_172615409~2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 81

gtk

Staff member
Just a FYI.

if you buy your greens from a can, VISUALLY INSPECT THEM. Visiting fam in MS this week, and mom cooked up some mustard greens from a can. While forking out my 2nd helping of mustard greens, i noticed something "off color" in the bowl. It was a grasshopper head. o_O

I'll eat just about any food, and i know grasshoppers are a eaten in some countries, but i lost my appetite after that !

DoubleRidge

Just a FYI.

if you buy your greens from a can, VISUALLY INSPECT THEM. Visiting fam in MS this week, and mom cooked up some mustard greens from a can. While forking out my 2nd helping of mustard greens, i noticed something "off color" in the bowl. It was a grasshopper head. o_O

I'll eat just about any food, and i know grasshoppers are a eaten in some countries, but i lost my appetite after that !

Wow....never had that happen....but I agree....I'll pass on eating insects...:)

mike243

Seen the title and thought man sounds great with some fresh out of the garden greens, the picture in my mind of the grasshopper head might've dropped my interest lol. 1 time years ago my wife opened a can of walawala asparagus, it had a very long black head hair curled up on top when she opened it, not allowed that brand in the house since

Safari Hunt

Protein! Printing it and pass along to the wife. She made a soup out of odds & ends in the refrigerator- squash, broccoli, cabbage, beef broth, canned chicken. Came out much better than she expected. Some call it Mulligan stew.

megalomaniac

A variant from south MS and LA.

use bacon grease (or cooking oil) to make a true roux, get it nice and dark brown. Then add all the other stuff (I leave out potatoes and only use navy beans) and andouille sausage. I prefer fresh greens in the mix, but canned ones are sufficient. I go heavy on the greens and light on the other ingredients... almost like a turnip green gumbo.

Safari Hunt

Roux- French word for gravy. Lived in Louisiana for 5-1/2 years. Add shrimp or crawfish tails for that Cajun cuisine.
Could add spinach or collard greens.Fresh would be best, if possible. So many ways to fix this.

DoubleRidge

A variant from south MS and LA.

use bacon grease (or cooking oil) to make a true roux, get it nice and dark brown. Then add all the other stuff (I leave out potatoes and only use navy beans) and andouille sausage. I prefer fresh greens in the mix, but canned ones are sufficient. I go heavy on the greens and light on the other ingredients... almost like a turnip green gumbo.

Sounds great!!

DoubleRidge

Several have mentioned 'fresh greens'...no doubt that would be good! And one thing I might try next time is to add more greens....I love them.

The canned approach is handy though... especially when fresh isn't available.

Latest posts