Green & Red Bell Peppers

gil1

I prefer red bell peppers over green, so I let the full-sized green ones ripen a few weeks longer and turn red.

Someone told me that you can buy red bell pepper plants that are always red, never green. Is this true?

WTM

not that i have seen, but there maybe some hybrids. the plants i buy are green first, then turn a bright red. my green bells only turn partially red and its more like purple than red.

it was funny this year, i planted mine in may and pulled maybe 3 peppers. then in the last month or so ive pulled about a 100 or so off of 8 plants. i have noticed that the red pepper plants do not produce like the green peppers though.

one other thing i noticed, i had one cayenne pepper that crossed with the bell peppers. they look like long slender bell peppers, lol.

gil1

WTM said:
not that i have seen, but there maybe some hybrids. the plants i buy are green first, then turn a bright red. my green bells only turn partially red and its more like purple than red.

it was funny this year, i planted mine in may and pulled maybe 3 peppers. then in the last month or so ive pulled about a 100 or so off of 8 plants. i have noticed that the red pepper plants do not produce like the green peppers though.

Mine did the same thing - not much early, tons late.

I'm not sure I'm getting you. In the first paragraph, you say you don't think there are separate green and red plants. In the next paragraph, you say the red pepper plants don't produce like the green peppers.

WTM

gil1 said:
WTM said:

Mine did the same thing - not much early, tons late.

I'm not sure I'm getting you. In the first paragraph, you say you don't think there are separate green and red plants. In the next paragraph, you say the red pepper plants don't produce like the green peppers.

sorry for the confusion. out of all the red pepper plants that i have planted they have started out green then turn red. i have never seen any that start out red, but there maybe some hybrids that im not aware of. i buy my plants at the co-op or bonnie, and they are always tagged either "green" or "red" bell pepper.

now the "green" bell peppers that i have let turn red, arent fully red. they are green with a deep red almost purple hue to them.

Harold Money jr

Re: Green & Red Bell Peppers

Gil1,
I bought some red peppers, yellow peppers and some green peppers this spring to try. I didn't keep up with what color each plant was supposed produce. I forgot that they were supposed to be colored and we ate them all summer long as "green" peppers. I quit weeding around them and allowed them to be overtaken. About two weeks ago I was bush hogging the garden and noticed beautiful yellows and reds in the weeds, I got down and started picking them they were absolutely beautiful and large. I picked 3 plastic bags full off 9 plants. The ones that were still small and were green were put on the counter and they changed within a couple of days. I can't wait till next spring. I think I've found the perfect plant the more I neglect them the better they produce!

Poor redneck

I have a few differant kinds of green bell peppers, some red and some yellow bell peppers. They all start off green. Never seen a bell pepper come out of the chute red. mine are still going strong, If I can beat the rain today I will pick all I can cause the chance of frost coming up has me thinking their days are numbered.

WTM

Harold Money jr said:
Gil1,
I bought some red peppers, yellow peppers and some green peppers this spring to try. I didn't keep up with what color each plant was supposed produce. I forgot that they were supposed to be colored and we ate them all summer long as "green" peppers. I quit weeding around them and allowed them to be overtaken. About two weeks ago I was bush hogging the garden and noticed beautiful yellows and reds in the weeds, I got down and started picking them they were absolutely beautiful and large. I picked 3 plastic bags full off 9 plants. The ones that were still small and were green were put on the counter and they changed within a couple of days. I can't wait till next spring. I think I've found the perfect plant the more I neglect them the better they produce!

thats a trick that i do with my hot peppers. the less you tend them, the hotter theyll get.

catman529

My two cents... if you like red bells better than greens, then you probably like ripe peppers over unripe. If there is such thing as an always-red variety (I have no clue), then I imagine it would not taste the same as a ripe regular bell pepper.

I'm more of a hot pepper person. I like to let them ripen 99% of the time. Got a load of cayennes today, frost hit all the plants recently, gotta pick some more before it gets too cold.

Latest posts