Food Plots Green manure

megalomaniac

All the rain made for some incredible summer growth in TN. Dried out enough to get these 3 acres of pearl millet, buckwheat, sorgham, and forage beans bushhigged. LOTS of organic matter going back into the dirt this fall. Going to burn down in 7 to 10d, then drill fall blend before a rain.

New plot, 1st year for summer planting here.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230817_120903_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20230817_120903_Messages.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 68

megalomaniac

View from the base of the stand... we left the summer blend in front of the stand to hopefully screen our approach.

The far back hill is native browse and not planted. (coralberry, blackberry, etc). Just bushhogged a few strips in it for fresh growth by Nov. It's my insurance policy in case of total plot failure

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230817_204201_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20230817_204201_Messages.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 62

JCDEERMAN

Looks good and I like the plan!

We sprayed yesterday and today with gly and 2-4D, because weeds were coming up and starting to form seed heads. Wanted to terminate before that happened. Then moved several stands and checked for wasps in the shooting houses. It is fast approaching!

DoubleRidge

Got all of our plots mowed. Also been working cleaning up several logging roads, cutting up fallen trees, box blading ruts, etc.
In one area of shoulder high old field growth I bush hogged a new 1/2 acre area to create some early successional growth and add some diversity in an area that was lacking...still have spraying to do...but holding off planting plots for now with forecast this week being super hot and dry....very satisfying to make progress.

BSK

I can't believe how much growth we've seen this summer. Roads that I bushhog every year couldn't be found due to all the new growth. Have a road running through a 10-acre clear-cut (mowed it tight to the ground last fall), and the growth of blackberry and pokeweed was so high I had to raise the tractor's bucket as high as it would go to push the growth down to where I could drive/mow over it. Had to inch my why through the cut because I literally couldn't tell where the road was. When a tire hit a stump, I knew I was off course and had to try a different direction. I actually saw pokeweed easily 12-feet tall and with a stalk the size of my wrist.

BSK

OK Mega, I'm sold on sorghum as a fantastic green manure plant. Even in my rockiest plots sorghum was more than waist high and growing out their seedheads. And wherever the sorghum did best, there were ZERO weeds underneath. Just bare ground.

Next year, my summer plots are just going to be buckwheat and sorghum, broadcast, mowed and sprayed. No ground turning.

megalomaniac

OK Mega, I'm sold on sorghum as a fantastic green manure plant. Even in my rockiest plots sorghum was more than waist high and growing out their seedheads. And wherever the sorghum did best, there were ZERO weeds underneath. Just bare ground.

Next year, my summer plots are just going to be buckwheat and sorghum, broadcast, mowed and sprayed. No ground turning.
It's hard to beat sorgham for improving soil in summer plots... easy to grow, tons of biomass, great weed suppression, great root system to aerate the soil, easy to terminate, and cheap (can prob go 25lbs per acre if broadcast... so around $35 per acre). It's also great to leave on the edges of your fall plots as an edge buffer. Showed this pic somewhere else, but I left 20y buffer all around what will be the fall plot

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230818_142834_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20230818_142834_Messages.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 37

megalomaniac

And the rain in TN has provided the best growing conditions one could ever ask for. Even my clover plot was 8in tall last week!

But jeez... we are now over 5 weeks without rain at my house in south MS...trees are shedding leaves, grass is dead, and shrubs are dying.... totally different weather pattern than we are used to (normal summer weather close to the gulf is HOT, HUMID, with afternoon clouds and pop up tstorms.... this past 6w has been hot, west winds, no clouds, and 100+ temps more often than not. I think we are supposed to get 10 days in a row over 100 deg during this 'heat dome'

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230818_182634_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20230818_182634_Messages.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 26

BSK

It's hard to beat sorgham for improving soil in summer plots... easy to grow, tons of biomass, great weed suppression, great root system to aerate the soil, easy to terminate, and cheap (can prob go 25lbs per acre if broadcast... so around $35 per acre). It's also great to leave on the edges of your fall plots as an edge buffer. Showed this pic somewhere else, but I left 20y buffer all around what will be the fall plot
That edge buffer is a great idea. I have little food plot acreage to spare, but leaving a bushhog width or two wouldn't be taking away too much acreage.

BSK

And the rain in TN has provided the best growing conditions one could ever ask for. Even my clover plot was 8in tall last week!

But jeez... we are now over 5 weeks without rain at my house in south MS...trees are shedding leaves, grass is dead, and shrubs are dying.... totally different weather pattern than we are used to (normal summer weather close to the gulf is HOT, HUMID, with afternoon clouds and pop up tstorms.... this past 6w has been hot, west winds, no clouds, and 100+ temps more often than not. I think we are supposed to get 10 days in a row over 100 deg during this 'heat dome'
Luckily, our upcoming "heat dome" is only forecast to last 4-5 days. A front coming through late on Saturday will drop the temperatures.

megalomaniac

Luckily, our upcoming "heat dome" is only forecast to last 4-5 days. A front coming through late on Saturday will drop the temperatures.
We don't get the cool down until next Tuesday :(

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230820_164152_AccuWeather.jpg
    Screenshot_20230820_164152_AccuWeather.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20230820_164114_AccuWeather.jpg
    Screenshot_20230820_164114_AccuWeather.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 14

JCDEERMAN

Sorghum is great to plant for sure

JCDEERMAN

$75 per year for a quail forever membership. You get sorghum $15 a bag. I'll be ordering some soon. At that rate, it comes to about $1.50 per acre 🤣

tellico4x4

Feeds the birds too. I busted a covey of quail yesterday at one of ours that must have had 18-20 birds in it. Majority were 3/4 grown & great to see. Decided then that I'd leave some in every plot that had it. I had seen two pair there since turkey season & they raised a bumper crop!