Food Plots Green Cover Seed

Pioneer1789

I know Grant Woods has blends there now, but I didn't want all the species in his blend. So, I tried their smartmix tool. Very cool. It works off your location, plant date, termination date, plant method, following crop, etc. It's very detailed. Then it will give you seed suggestions for your blend. They mix it to your spec, bag it or palletize it and ship it out. I got 10 different species, 150lb of seed for 2 acres worth of plots for $177 shipped to my door. I'm excited to try it and will post updates throughout the fall and winter.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210702-091733.png
    Screenshot_20210702-091733.png
    70.1 KB · Views: 71

JCDEERMAN

Very cool! The only thing I don't like about GCS is their shipping cost. I emailed Keith about this and he said that they plan, at some point, to have dealer distribution centers at various locations. If that comes to fruition, I will certainly buy from them.

Pioneer1789

Yeah, it cost $65 shipping. Not great, but not terrible for 150lb of seed. The whole deal still was cheaper than me buying individual bags of seed and mixing the blend myself.

JhnDeereMan

2-Step Enabled
Try Sauder Farm Country Market in Elkton KY for your cover crop seeds. They may not have any mixes pre made but their prices are hard to beat when it comes to seed. Would save the shipping cost for you middle TN guys.

tellico4x4

Give Clemmonds & Hamner Seed in Killen Al a try. Just 30 minutes south of Lawrenceburg off hwy 43. Great people to deal with & super knowledgeable regarding anything farming. Lots of seed that you are buying at Co-ops come from them, plus they do many of the " buck on the bag" ones too. They do custom blends as well, I believe the annual blend they did for me last year was about $28/bag done to my specifications.

JCDEERMAN

Give Clemmonds & Hamner Seed in Killen Al a try. Just 30 minutes south of Lawrenceburg off hwy 43. Great people to deal with & super knowledgeable regarding anything farming. Lots of seed that you are buying at Co-ops come from them, plus they do many of the " buck on the bag" ones too. They do custom blends as well, I believe the annual blend they did for me last year was about $28/bag done to my specifications.
I've heard you talk about them a lot. They look to be about 75 miles from our place. How much did that $28/bag plant (1 ac, etc...)? Also curious as to what was in the blend.

JhnDeereMan

2-Step Enabled
Yes for both, and Fairview and even Franklin a few times. For some reason, I've never gone to the Hickman County Co-op or Perry County.
Dickson coop is great. Humphreys is very good as well. New manager at Humphreys came from Montgomery Farmers co-op. He is very knowledgeable on food plots. He does a lot of custom plots himself. He is very connected with the Whitetail Institute guys.
He carried me and a few other guys to the whitetail institute test farm just outside of Paris TN one time a few years back on a tour. It was was one of the best plot tours I have ever been on. They really had some neat ideas on that farm.

BSK

Dickson coop is great. Humphreys is very good as well. New manager at Humphreys came from Montgomery Farmers co-op. He is very knowledgeable on food plots. He does a lot of custom plots himself. He is very connected with the Whitetail Institute guys.
He carried me and a few other guys to the whitetail institute test farm just outside of Paris TN one time a few years back on a tour. It was was one of the best plot tours I have ever been on. They really had some neat ideas on that farm.
Very interesting.

Dickson usually has the best seed selection, but not always. It appears each Co-op orders their seed independently. Last year, I was trying to find winter wheat fairly early in the fall planting timeline (early August), and Dickson had none. So I stopped by Humphreys County and they had 60,000 pounds!

tellico4x4

I've heard you talk about them a lot. They look to be about 75 miles from our place. How much did that $28/bag plant (1 ac, etc...)? Also curious as to what was in the blend.
Annual blend Aug 2020 was 1400# of seed which actually came out to $33.75 a bag. Mix was 68% wheat, 14% crimson, 6% frosty berseem, 6% daikon radish & 4% trophy rape. No till broadcast using the spray/seed/mow method at 100# acre.

Clover blend for frost seeding Jan 2021 was 300# of seed which came out to $104 a bag. Mix was 30% Advantage Landino, 30% Yucchi Arrowleaf & 40% Dixie Reseeding Crimson.

If you call ask for Jim Clemmons

Last edited:

JCDEERMAN

Annual blend Aug 2020 was 1400# of seed which actually came out to $33.75 a bag. Mix was 68% wheat, 14% crimson, 6% frosty berseem, 6% daikon radish & 4% trophy rape. No till broadcast using the spray/seed/mow method at 100# acre.
Looks like a great blend. I have done similar blends to that. But $67 an acre is on the high side.

I'll definitely give him a call and chat with him. Thanks

Latest posts