Food Plots Green manure for poor-soil food plots

BSK

Without tillage, is it a good idea to use the sun hemp? I could borrow a disc from a friend, but I'd rather not do any tillage. It would seem to me that the hemp stems would have to be broken up pretty good or germination would be spotty at best.
From what I can tell, the leaves turn brown and begin to break down fairly quickly. Stem density on the ground isn't too high. I would have no problem either broadcast seeding before bushhogging or drilling into it afterwards (although how you would broadcast seed into a stand 10-12 feet tall would be a question).

I'm only tilling it because I've found these ridge-top plots will NEVER hold moisture through dry spells until the surface hard-pan is broken up several seasons in a row. Eventually, I would love to get to the point where seed could be drilled. Much less erosion and better humus development.

megalomaniac

Mega, do you mow that down or just let it stand? And I assume your drilling fall crop into it?
Yes... but that is not the norm for me. Last year, I drilled my 8ac field in a mix of sorgham, millet, soybeans, forage beans, buckwheat, okra, and cowpeas. It did GREAT... Perhaps too great. Was so thick the deer didn't even utilize the field much except for the edges and spent most of the summer feeding on the neighboring ag beans. I bushhogged the field mid Aug, sprayed it with gly, then drilled my fall planting. (This was my normal regimen)

This year due to increasing input and herbicide costs, I did not plant that 8ac field at all (was chock full of balansa clover). As a cheap experiment, I planted the 1 ac plot in the pic above with about $25 worth of sorgham and millet only (saving the cost of the other seeds) plus $25 in fertilizer. I am going to drill right through it with my fall blend without chemically burning it down or bushhogging it at all. Very little weed competition underneath, and the fall crop will have just become established by the time the first killing frost burns up the sorgham and millet. Hopefully after that the fall planting can go gangbusters. This 80ac property has 11 other acres in plantings, so if this experiment fails, the deer will still have plenty to eat this winter.

If it works though, I may have the designs for a cheap summer plot (just sorgham and millet) adding humus to topsoil without having to spend the big bucks on gly while at the same time reducing fertilizer needs.

megalomaniac

But if the sunn hemp stems don't last forever on the top, I might just add a few lbs to the millet and sorgham mix next year... just for the benefit of fixing Nitrogen.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Absolutely!!! You want to plant a summer crop in poor soils for 3 main reasons... #1 to produce as much biomass as possible. All that biomass sequesters nutrients ( often from deep in the soil through roots). Those sequestered nutrients then get put right back into the top layer after you bushhog or it decays naturally.

#2- a dense summer crop of something fast growing chokes out and suppresses weed growth, leading to a better stand for fall.

#3- the dense summer crop when laid down on top of the soil helps the soil retain moisture and reduce soil erosion... same reason you see landscapers put down straw over the top of newly sewn grass seed.

You arent feeding the deer with the summer crop... they usually have plenty of natural browse that time of the year. The summer crop is for the 3 reasons above.

I've got a half inch layer of humus on top of several if my plots at this point, despite this only being my 3rd years of planting these new areas. And the fall plots are just getting better and better every year (when I get normal rainfall amounts)

I posted a couple weeks before, but here's one of my summer plots in sorgham and millet.... deer eat neither (except for the mature seed heads), but this is giving me a ton of biomass, root systems aerating the soils, and the plot is virtually weed free
^^^ Absolutely this ^^^
All of this!

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
But if the sunn hemp stems don't last forever on the top, I might just add a few lbs to the millet and sorgham mix next year... just for the benefit of fixing Nitrogen.
Which millet are you using?
I doubt sun hemp will compete with the smaller miller's. I mixed a small amount of milo in my millet duck holes this year and the Japanese millet outran it and I cannot see a single milo plant.
I love legume heavy summer blends! After a few successive crops I no longer fertilize my best plots at all.
If you will consider tons of (dry) matter I think you will prefer a widely diverse blend but I also acknowledge that there is little to dislike about a great stand of millet & sorghum.

megalomaniac

Which millet are you using?
I doubt sun hemp will compete with the smaller miller's. I mixed a small amount of milo in my millet duck holes this year and the Japanese millet outran it and I cannot see a single milo plant.
I love legume heavy summer blends! After a few successive crops I no longer fertilize my best plots at all.
If you will consider tons of (dry) matter I think you will prefer a widely diverse blend but I also acknowledge that there is little to dislike about a great stand of millet & sorghum.
I use pearl millet. Nice big seed head. I bet if I cut the small grass seeds rates in half, sunn hemp would still come up... but even if it doesn't, it's still not the end of the world.

BSK

^^^ Absolutely this ^^^
All of this!
I'm going to evaluate the growth of my fall plantings in these Sunn Hemp plots before I decide if need another summer of Sunn Hemp or go with something specifically designed for deer to eat next summer (although they did eat the Sunn Hemp some).

BSK

I'd guess it would make a mess out of your tiller in about 30 seconds and take 30 minutes to clean out that mess. I'll be interested to see how you get it worked in.
And we have a winner! Frigging nightmare to till. Could have easily drill through it, but tilling it - at least before it had broken down some - was a disaster.

Latest posts