Green Egg

JQT

Does anyone own a green egg smoker/ grill? If so, what size and how do you like it? I have a large cooker I'm trying to sell, and when I sell it I'm considering a green egg.

JimFromTN

I only know of one person and they love it. I'm not sure what size it is. I can't see spending that kind of money on a charcoal grill. I think the last time I priced one it was around $700.

Hogbear

Get the large. I've had several people tell me the steaks I've cooked on it are the best they've had in their life. Just T-bones or ribeyes from the meat case at Walmart, but seared at 700* and then finished off at 400*. Makes great bbq chicken or porkchops cooked slow at 300 too. Once you get the vents set it holds the temp for hours. They're not cheap but it'll probably outlast me so not bad when you amortize it over about 30 years.

FULLDRAWXX75

They make two sizes, lots of accessories.

From what I have read about them, they are the top of the line cooker/smoker and will last a lifetime if cared for properly.

If you are going to spend that kind of coin, you might as well go big and get the large one.

They are not cheap.

FDXX75

EDITED: I stand corrected, they make 5 sizes. mini - XL
$315-$1200 without frills........on ebay

TrailWatcher

I use and sell the PRIMO grills they are Oval so you get more cooking area. I can get 4 Boston Butts on my large Primo at a time. Best cooker I have ever had hands down!!http://www.primogrill.com/home.html

TrailWatcher

Well I have a big smoker ( have done 20 slabs of Ribs ) But I have to keep checking the Temp sometimes all night. With the Primo I can set it and it will stay right on temp with 5 pounds of charcoal for 12 hours plus in the pouring rain... I can grill steaks to perfection and make some of the best Pizza you will ever eat..

JQT

ShaneHallum said:
For that kind of price, I would get a big black smoker.. just me tho

I have a large smoker that I'm trying to sell. I used to pull it and cook for large groups, but no longer have an interest in that. I want a ceramic smoker / grill that will last me the rest of my life.

TrailWatcher

Sure I can.... Take a look at the Primo site and tell me what you want as far as a stand or if you don't want a stand and I'll
get ya a price, We are closed tomorrow, So it will be Thursday. Before I can sharpen the pencil for you...

TNDeerGuy

At a distributor I worked at, I sold a ton of the Primo grills and they are the best out there. I would suggest the XL Oval with the cypress table and then you can add the extended cooking racks, which will almost double your cooking area. One suggestion with ANY ceramic grill...NEVER use charcoal fluid to light charcoal.

JQT

They appear to be very similar, except the Primo claims to be the only ceramic cooker made in the USA. I thought the Egg was made in the US, but I haven't researched it. The Primo oval does have a little more cooking surface. I'm not sure how they compare in price.

TrailWatcher

The Primo have more cooking area than the Egg. With the XL Oval as I said before I can do 4 Boston butts with no extra racks on it. I'll be doing some cooks at the store this spring if anyone wants to see how well they work...I'll post when I'll be cooking...If nothing else it's free food...

Latest posts