GPS/Sonar. Which is best?

Model70Man

I have been looking to upgrade my console unit and have been doing some research, but would like to get some real first hand knowledge. I would like to get a gps/sonar unit in the $600-$700 range. From what I've researched, Lowrance and Humminbird have been real big sellers, but Garmin and Raymarine have surpassed them with the quality and detail of the image on sonar. I'm leaning towards the Raymarine Dragonfly and the Garmin echoMap 50DV. I just don't know how user friendly they are and if what I'm reading is true.

Can you guys give me some first hand experience with the gps/sonar units that you have used and what you like and dislike about them? I would like to get the best product in my price range.

Kimberman

If it doesn't have down imaging I wouldn't buy it. Hummingbird and Lowrance win at that game. There is a reason that tournament anglers use those 2, you don't see them with Garmin or Raymarine.

Spurhunter

I have owned many Lowrance and Humminbirds and always had problems. I am considering a new Garmin myself.

As far as tournament anglers, the ones that are sponsored use what their sponsors give them and the weekend tournament guys buy whatever the pros use.

I have never used down imaging so I'm not sure I need it. I would like to see it in action firsthand. I guess I will sit on my money and keep doing research and hope the perfect unit for my needs crosses my path.

SilverFox

No experience with the Ray or Garmin.

I started off with Lowrance HDS units. I now use Hummnbird. Not sponsored by anyone and didn't choose due to any pro... The pro I sponsored last year actually uses Lowrance but that's his deal with them. My feelings are... Lowrance has the best 2D and DI out there. Humminbird has the best SI... And the DI when you buy the DI only unit isn't far behind the Lowrance. 2D is also close to Lowrance quality. I use SI to find fish and then the 2D or DI to catch them. Humminbird has the best customer service. 1 week turn around if you have issues... And in the USA. Several guys who aren't brand specific are using both brands on the same boat.

If you don't have down imaging and side imaging, you're not catching the fish you could be. I'd be lost without them now. It's the biggest advantage an angler can have.

Spurhunter

SilverFox said:
If you don't have down imaging and side imaging, you're not catching the fish you could be. I'd be lost without them now. It's the biggest advantage an angler can have.

If you would, please explain why. I am still undecided about what I need and your explanation might help. I understand DI, but the SI pics I see make absolutely no sense to me.

SilverFox

Most fish key on some kind of structure or cover. A few feet off and you're not catching. With the SI I can idle over a location and see the structure/cover and the fish... Mark that spot on GPS and then either cast to it or sit on top of it.

I can scan something like 200-300 feet off the sides of the boat... I never scan over 150 off each side and usually 100 or less. That's covering a lot of water and saves time and gas over looking for fish directly under the boat.

SilverFox

Boat on the bottom.
humminbird1009_zpsc321b215.png

Scattered fish

mossyhorns300

SilverFox said:
Most fish key on some kind of structure or cover. A few feet off and you're not catching. With the SI I can idle over a location and see the structure/cover and the fish... Mark that spot on GPS and then either cast to it or sit on top of it.

I can scan something like 200-300 feet off the sides of the boat... I never scan over 150 off each side and usually 100 or less. That's covering a lot of water and saves time and gas over looking for fish directly under the boat.

x2! SilverFox pretty much summed it up there. It's very advantageous for offshore structure anglers. It's hard to compete against guys that have it and know how to use it if you don't have it. I was able to prefish with a buddy of mine last year on Pickwick and we just rode for 3-4 hours and would mark schools of fish as we were idling without ever stopping the boat. You can go back later and check those waypoints or schools of fish you marked and fish them. Very efficient to a tournament angler when time is of the utmost importance because you can cover so much water without ever making a cast.

Model70Man

The CHIRP technology that the Raymarine Dragonfly and the Garmin echoMap 50DV have are far superior to what Lowrance and Humminbird have to offer currently from what I've read. Humminbird and Lowrance do not use CHIRP technology and seem to be playing catch up in the imaging dept.

I do like the DI and SI in those pics SilverFox. You can see specks on some of those pics that represent fish I assume.

Still confused on which one would be the best for that price range.

SilverFox

Chirp from what I've read has been a technology used in deep sea fishing for years for greater depth. I'm locked in with what I have until something breaks. I'm happy with it and catch fish with them.

TN Larry

SilverFox said:
Chirp from what I've read has been a technology used in deep sea fishing for years for greater depth. I'm locked in with what I have until something breaks. I'm happy with it and catch fish with them.

Which exact units do you have? I am in the market as well.

Latest posts