Please Take My Forward-Facing Sonar Survey - RESULTS ADDED

WTM

to be honest i like the online mag the way it is and ive been an avid reader of it for almost 10 years. now it seems to have a good mix of technique and ffs articles. i only read two online mags, crappienow and in-fishermen.

so what are you thinking as far as content wise?

rsimms

to be honest i like the online mag the way it is and ive been an avid reader of it for almost 10 years. now it seems to have a good mix of technique and ffs articles. i only read two online mags, crappienow and in-fishermen.

so what are you thinking as far as content wise?
See post above to Ruger. Glad you like the current mix. Based on what I'm seeing now, you definitely won't see any LESS content on FFS.

rsimms

SURVEY RESULTS - Regarding the survey I posted last week asking how many people have Forward-Facing Sonar (FFS, such as Garmin Livescope or similar Humminbird or Lowrance brands), the survey has now been closed.

Albeit TOTALLY unscientific, I am absolutely astounded at the results! Basically HALF of all respondents indicate they do have forward-facing sonar.

I never imagined the percentage would be anywhere near that high. Perhaps folks were more inclined to answer if they do have FFS? But no matter what - even if it is off by a significant margin - it is clear to me that there are LOTS more people using FFS now than I ever would have imagined!

FYI, of the people who "Commented" on the reasons they do not have FFS (44 comments), a large percentage indicated they have concerns about the technology impacting the resource.

EXAMPLES OF RESPONSES (from people who say they don't own FFS)::
• It is depleting a renewable resource at a rapid pace
• Should be outlawed
• They're a crutch for lazy fishermen. I can't imagine a duller way to fish.
• Not willing to lose knowledge it has taken me a lifetime to acquire.
• Unfair
• Will eventually lead to too many fish being removed from lakes. State agencies will need to reevaluate the number of fish that can be taken out
• Too much technology in the sport already.
• I think they are unfair for sport fishing.
• It's not fishing, it's spotlighting
• Taking the "fishing" out of fishing
• I think they negatively impact the fish harvest.
• I think it's a detriment technology. Two reasons, most resources are struggling and this highly effective tool will only damage it further. Second issue is the angler. The technology is dumbing down anglers. I've fished for a living for almost 50 years. I've watched a steady decline in anglers that truly understand all the elements and those that are successful almost solely through tech. We are losing our skill sets. I blame tech for that. I've seen the full arc of electronics and use modern electronics in my business. This just crosses an ethical line for me. To each his own though.

FFS_Survey1.jpg
FFS_Survey2.jpg
FFS_Survey3.jpg

WTM

not really surprising. when they did the lake survey in kansas and arkansas 3 years ago it was like 33%. ive noticed a sharp increase of folks at the ramp that have it on their boats.

Spurhunter

• I think it's a detriment technology. Two reasons, most resources are struggling and this highly effective tool will only damage it further. Second issue is the angler. The technology is dumbing down anglers. I've fished for a living for almost 50 years. I've watched a steady decline in anglers that truly understand all the elements and those that are successful almost solely through tech. We are losing our skill sets. I blame tech for that. I've seen the full arc of electronics and use modern electronics in my business. This just crosses an ethical line for me. To each his own though.
I was a millwright when laser alignment came on the scene. We did all our precision alignments with dial indicators and it took some smarts and skill. With laser alignment the computer told you every move to make. It really took the skill out of the millwright's hands. However, it was easier and faster, so we used it. I see the same thing with FFS. We have a generation of kids coming up that will never know how to catch a fish they can't see.

Hduke86

I was a millwright when laser alignment came on the scene. We did all our precision alignments with dial indicators and it took some smarts and skill. With laser alignment the computer told you every move to make. It really took the skill out of the millwright's hands. However, it was easier and faster, so we used it. I see the same thing with FFS. We have a generation of kids coming up that will never know how to catch a fish they can't see.
Lol with my Livescope, I can see fish but still can't catch them

Latest posts