GPS ducks being shot at an alarming rate..

Dodge Man

This is the website for the group doing the research.

D7A037ED-8401-4F2A-B97B-00302A3A1DE9.jpeg

Last edited:

Bgoodman30

If zero were being killed I would say that is alarming. Realistically if more get killed it means the ducks are moving. If none are getting killed it means they are not moving much or at all.
That was just from one of our blinds yesterday... I am a numbers person and the backpacks are still rare and very low odds of getting one but it doesn't seem that way? Yes ducks are moving rather than sitting on the refuge this year I guess.

I think these cold dry years are bad news for ducks..

Crosshairy

I don't duck hunt these days, but the friends of mine who have hunted the MS River last few days have had A LOT of success, some days killing up to six species in a hunt, and 5-6 man limits. Shotshell manufacturers are happy with this cold front. :)
yeah, with these freeze-ups, all of the standing water got iced over. My buddies went on the river and killed limits also (funny, my phone never rang...). The thing is, you have to be well-equipped and crazy enough to run the big river under those kinds of conditions. That's a special kind of commitment to hunt ducks. I don't reliably have that kind of commitment, nor do I own a boat big enough to do it on my own.

Dodge Man

That was just from one of our blinds yesterday... I am a numbers person and the backpacks are still rare and very low odds of getting one but it doesn't seem that way? Yes ducks are moving rather than sitting on the refuge this year I guess.

I think these cold dry years are bad news for ducks..
Well the ducks are mostly only banded in 2-4 places all season long. If they trap ducks that are use to traveling together they will me more likely to get killed in the same place. I imagine the field they are killing several is close to a refuge that is a banding location.

drake799

Shooting radio sucks is gonna get like shooting banded local geese. It'll be cool but not THAT cool lol

Bgoodman30

Oddly enough I have killed two banded ducks with a total kill of probably 50 ducks in my life. I think I am an outlier.

I would trade one for a double drop tine buck any day.

Yeah GPS collar and double banded ducks are very different than a regular banded duck and MUCH more rare. That's pretty good odds. I know guys that have been on thousands of ducks but have no bands. I'd say our groups odds are still around a band per 500 ducks but the GPS program has changed that a little.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Rare. Rare is a miner. I have hunted all my life, 50 plus years. I have 72 bands, 5 sets of reward bands. 31 collars. Never a Taurus. A miner is my dream.
I saw on the book of face the other day a guy killed his very first duck.
It was a double banded spoonie and one of the bands was a miner. :eek:

I wanted to tell him, quit now.

Dodge Man

Rare. Rare is a miner. I have hunted all my life, 50 plus years. I have 72 bands, 5 sets of reward bands. 31 collars. Never a Taurus. A miner is my dream.
I have only known if 1 jack miner killed in this area. I hunt with a group of guys that killed a hen Mallard with a Jack Miner band. They ended up drawing straws for it and a guy that had no clue what he had got it. He put it on his dog's collar and his dog is awful. 😡

Latest posts