GPS ducks being shot at an alarming rate..

Bgoodman30

11 shot yesterday. 7 over the opening weekend... Our club has killed 2 this week.. Supposedly 120 were deployed this year but still that's a relatively small number compared to the number of birds in TN.. I am guessing these trapped birds are wanting to relocate from the refuge were they were trapped with a net cannon and leading to their demise?

jkelley429

Where are you finding this information? I just checked their FB page and don't see anything from yesterday. Is there somewhere else they post about it?

Bgoodman30

Where are you finding this information? I just checked their FB page and don't see anything from yesterday. Is there somewhere else they post about it?

Our guy who shot it was told when he called and checked it in.

Bgoodman30

I killed one 2 years ago, they get smarter as the season goes on. But they also put the transmitters on new duck if one gets killed so there is 120 out there for most of the season.

So they capture a new duck and release every time one is turned in?

mike243

2 ?, whats alarming about ducks being shot, who chipped them ? are you supposed to look for it before you shoot ? lol have heard of the bands but not the gps deal

tickweed

I hunted with the guy who bands them last yr one morning near whites lake. He made a comment that morning, he said there was 54 sitting on whites lake that morning.of course, there was probably 50000 ducks at least on the refuge.

Dodge Man

Just to be clear: is the research team doing the banding alarmed? Is that what they told your buddy when he called?
I don't think any of the data alarms them. It is just research to see how and when the ducks are moving. If a lot got shot opening weekend then it tells them that a lot of ducks in the area we're moving. If very few were shot it would tell them that the ducks stayed put and didn't move.

Smashdn

Opening weekend would go along with what they said before, ducks react to hunting pressure when they have been in an area for a while. They find the safe spots, or die. Everything is safe when no hunting has occurred so they then make use of the best habitat. Until the best habitat is not safe to go to [during daylight].

Bgoodman30

Well if you do some simple math and if there is roughly 120k ducks(easily could be more) in Tennessee then that's .001 % of ducks that are GPS banded. Then 10% of those are killed on a Tuesday? I was kind of being facetious when I said alarming but still seems like a high harvest rate. I guess we will see how the rest of the season looks?

Latest posts