goose / duck gun

buckhunter42

i need some input on what kind of gun i need for goose and duck hunting. i went fri morning and loved it , i used a mossberg 500 12 ga pump. i think i need a semi auto.......give me some ideas...

Spoonbillmallard

If your going big then I would either get the Benelli Super Black Eagle II or the Beretta Extrema 2.

If your going a little cheaper I would go with a Franchi 912 or a Remington 11-87.

And if you want a gun that won't break you and go boom you could go with a Stoeger M2000.

rukiddin

Sometimes duck hunting takes place in extreme conditions. I started out with a blued/walnut 11-87 premier. Gun never failed me mechanically, but saltwater took a toll on the finish. I've seen exteme cold make even the most reliable semi's useless. I bought a remmy special purpose 870, and its been everything I could ask.

The mossberg your shooting will work fine imo. You don't have to "look" like a duck hunter (benelli, beretta) to kill ducks! I've seen 870's lay in the boat all season and still kill ducks. Shuck'em a couple times to knock the ice and dirt out, and kill ducks.

JThuntsalot

870 super or 1187 super. I would stay away from stoegers. 4 buddies bought them and they have to clean them almost everyday to keep them from being single shots. Don't really care for the expensive guns. When you can kill ducks just as efficient with something cheaper and just as good.

Bullfrog

Buy yourself a 870 or BPS for 2 reasons:

1. They will always go boom

2. You'll save $$ in shells and will more than likely be more efficient

sneakboxer

I'm running a browning BPS 3.5 12ga and like it a lot. I don't think you NEED a semi to kill ducks. Your mossy will be very effective. But if you WANT a semi that is a different story. Beretta's and Benelli's seem to be the most popular. I would recommend shouldering a bunch of guns and pick the one that fits the best.
I also believe that 3.5in is not really needed and i don't use the 3.5in mags any more.
If you wait till the end of season you might find some cheap used guns. Just a thought,
Best of luck,

big B

I shoot a Franchi 912 Variomax and love it,but I also believe it is what shoulders you best,and I have also sworn off the 3.5 inch shells!

TNTomtaker01

big B said:
I shoot a Franchi 912 Variomax and love it,but I also believe it is what shoulders you best,and I have also sworn off the 3.5 inch shells!
The bad thing about the 3.5's is by the time you get to number three your so off balance your just making pointless noise! :D

holstonangler

I've fired thousands of rounds through my SBE 2 through competion skeet to geese and turkey, it always goes performs under all conditions. My Rem 1187 died in Argentina a couple years ago during a high volume dove hunt, it also requires frequent cleaning and takes forever to clean, the stoeger i shot for a day never ejected 2 3/4 shells properly and rang like a tuning fork every time i shot it. You owe it to your shoulder to get a semi-auto. this is where a little money goes a long way

rukiddin

I don't understand the complaints about recoil from the 3 1/2's. With the exception of the black clouds (ouch) I can't tell a difference between 2 3/4"-3 1/2" kents or dryloks outta my 870 sp purpose.

tasaman

If you want a semi that won't break the bank look at the Beretta 390 or the AL391 Urika. That later one is what I'm shooting. It's a 3 inch gas operated gun. I gave it it's first thourough cleaning last week by breaking down the bolt and everything and wiping out the receiver. Did I mention that this gun has been fired thousands of times from the skeet range to the dove fields to squirrel woods, turkey loads and now duck hunting. It finally became a single shot last week. Now cleaned it functions like a brand new gun all over again. That's reliability I can deal with. Clean once every 12 years is a schedule I can live with.

WingNut

Rem. 870. They have sold over 1 million for a reason. Never failed. Its has seen the bottom of a few timber holes and a rice field and has never failed. I'm the only one in the group that hunts with a pump and I kill just as much as they do.

double browtine

IMO a Browning Auto 5 is the best duck gun ever. I killed grew up killing ducks with one. They are just real heavy. Now I shoot a 870 super mag. It has never failed me. It does not like 3.5" winchesters though. Sometimes they hang in the chamber after they are fired. I think it is the way they are crimped.

Latest posts