Good weekend of fishing

shopson

My 30 year friend and fishing partner and myself made a couple trips to the lake for some walleye action and did some freezer filling got 2 limits each day.

Attachments

• 1AA1362B-E366-4128-B0C3-198920AC9BB7.jpeg
    1AA1362B-E366-4128-B0C3-198920AC9BB7.jpeg
    514.2 KB · Views: 145
  • CE22BBB3-D651-4619-9B0D-F9C51D644846.jpeg
    CE22BBB3-D651-4619-9B0D-F9C51D644846.jpeg
    665.9 KB · Views: 128

sll

Nice job. It still amazes me that the walleye are reproducing the rate that they are in Douglas but they won't in Cherokee and have to be stocked every year.

sll

@shopson
Would you mind sharing some tips? My son and I are trying hard to find walleye right now with no luck. Are these lake fish being caught on humps?
Not trying to reply for shopson here, but these are lake fish that are running as far up into the rivers feeding them as part of their spawning migration. Go as far upstream as you can possibly go this time of year. The walleye that get caught on the humps in the main body of the lakes that have them occurs in late spring/early summer after the early spring migration stops and the fish return back down in the main lake as they chase the preferred water temp for them and the shad at that time of year.

When targeting walleye/sauger in the lakes you are fishing in your area you would be best-served to stay in the shallowest part of the rivers in current during late December thru March until April/May when they start heading back downstream.

Rammer Jammer

Not trying to reply for shopson here, but these are lake fish that are running as far up into the rivers feeding them as part of their spawning migration. Go as far upstream as you can possibly go this time of year. The walleye that get caught on the humps in the main body of the lakes that have them occurs in late spring/early summer after the early spring migration stops and the fish return back down in the main lake as they chase the preferred water temp for them and the shad at that time of year.

When targeting walleye/sauger in the lakes you are fishing in your area you would be best-served to stay in the shallowest part of the rivers in current during late December thru March until April/May when they start heading back downstream.
We are fishing a river right now and we have only caught one walleye in the past month. The heavy rains have really hurt us where we are and also the lack of current due to the dam not flowing most of the time. We have fished from the lake, upstream in the river, and all the way to the dam. We're struggling.

shopson

Best advice I would give is follow the crowd up the river! During the spawning it is a sight to see all the fisherman after them. If you are not with the crowd you probably are in the wrong spot! I counted 40 boats Saturday.

Latest posts