Good clutch—Sad Update

Knothead

Clean up day at out campsite on lease today. Ran across these. Hope she comes back to nest before hawk, snake, bobcat or coyotes do.
A4469CBB-9B7F-431D-A26C-13A6AF3D2F63.jpeg

wildlifefarmer

Clean up day at out campsite on lease today. Ran across these. Hope she comes back to nest before hawk, snake, bobcat or coyotes do.
View attachment 139024
you failed to mention armadillo!! with the increased population of these critters, are they part of the cause in the decline of the turkey population. However, great find you had!

Knothead

Doesn't look like a good ending for this clutch after all. I went down today to spray our campsite area after we cleaned up and mowed/bush-hogged last weekend. Looks like something may have put the sneak on her , or perhaps a hawk dive-bombed her. Who knows? Bobcat, coyote, owl ? It's anyones guess. Hen feather and egg shells scattered everywhere.
Man, I hate that!! 😡
7A403983-6887-4083-ADD2-511E6A316308.jpeg
70E1FA6A-9831-44BF-8EE1-2CC3D1BC659F.jpeg

DoubleRidge

Doesn't look like a good ending for this clutch after all. I went down today to spray our campsite area after we cleaned up and mowed/bush-hogged last weekend. Looks like something may have put the sneak on her , or perhaps a hawk dive-bombed her. Who knows? Bobcat, coyote, owl ? It's anyones guess. Hen feather and egg shells scattered everywhere.
Man, I hate that!! 😡
View attachment 139705View attachment 139704

I know it happens but I sure hate it...year before last I followed up on a nest that was successful....then last year I followed up on a nest that was clearly robbed.....its very frustrating to find evidence that shows they didn't make it.

JCDEERMAN

Man I hate that! She likely was in the last stages of incubation where the hens won't leave the nest, even when predators come. Looks like she lost the battle :(

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
There was a thread on an Arkansas forum where a guy put a cell cam over a nest. It showed coons, possums and other vermin trying to get the eggs, and the hen defended it. A coyote came by later, but eggs had hatched.

Andy S.

Unfortunately, this happens more than most want to believe. We lose both the healthy hen that COULD have reproduced more eggs/poults in out years as well as the eggs this year.

Latest posts