Good closed face reel

Creek

We are looking for a good quality closed face reel for my son. They dont seem to make them like they use to but we dont want to break the bank either. Just looking for a good quality, dependable closed face.
Thanks

Creek

Thanks weve had a 33 in the past but dont seem to stay smooth for very long. Im reading great reviews about the zebco omega and they are a bit higher in price but might be worth it. Just not sure yet.

catman529

stik said:
no such thing imo
lol I have to agree.

Got a 33 that is decent for a closed face but it still is a pain to work with sometimes. I like the clicker/free spool option though, my spinning reels don't have that. Still, spinning is the way to go... I have yet to use any baitcaster.

Roger

The 33's they make now don't hold up long at all. Some of Zebco's bigger reels are pretty good. Abu Garcia makes a decent closed face reel. Both of my kids have them and I the they were about 60 bucks each. One of them is a couple years old and still smooth.I do clean and oil them about once a year.

Creek

Thanks for all the help. He is 15 years old and has been fishing steady evry year since diapers and the more that I read after I posted my question then the more I realized that he really is ready for a light cast open face for this small Piney river.
Thanks again.

bowriter

R.I.P.
If it says Zebco on it and isn't pink, it should be okay.

Now, if you can hold off until mid-October, I may be able to get you a top of the line Zebco free. No promises but a good chance. One caveat. You must send me good pictures of your son with the ree and fish in good focus.

AllOutdoors

Abu Garcia Abumatic 276i and pflueger cetina are 2 closed faced reels that come to mind..... that being said, at his age just get him a good baitcaster or spinning reel.

catman529

bowriter said:
If it says Zebco on it and isn't pink, it should be okay.

Now, if you can hold off until mid-October, I may be able to get you a top of the line Zebco free. No promises but a good chance. One caveat. You must send me good pictures of your son with the ree and fish in good focus.
I wouldn't trust every zebco... 202 is a beginner's piece of garbage no matter what color. But it deserves just a bit of credit... caught my first fish ever with one.

Football Hunter

Swamphunter said:
stik said:
no such thing imo

This was my experience. I got so frustrated trying to find a good one for my boy I just taught him to use a baitcaster. The Red Rhino is supposed to be good but it didn't work for us.
Yep,thats the way to go,once you learn,you'll never want to fool with a spinning reel again,longer casts,much better control.

Creek

Thankss for all the help. Since I dont spend near the time fishing that I use to then I decided to let him use my open face and he has been throwing just fine. Looks like he is ready for a step up.
Here some pictures of him with some from the Piney River we live near. The last picture is a small mouth 18"
Lyles-Wrigley-20110702-00216.jpg

Lyles-Wrigley-20110526-00146.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/[IMG]
[img]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/Mudball/Lyles-Wrigley-20110723-00247.jpg
Only-20110810-00049.jpg

Rob R.

I'd like to have a dollar for every 33 thats been sold. :)

Looks like you got a true fisherman on your hands there.

Creek

Thanks for the help. He seems to be catching on to the open face quite well and he is excited about it. The wife and I are thinking about buying him a fishing kayak foe christmas. And I also wanted to say thanks for the offer Bowriter that was a nice offer. Im not sure how I misread or missed it but thanks.

stik

PRB said:
Thanks for the help. He seems to be catching on to the open face quite well and he is excited about it. The wife and I are thinking about buying him a fishing kayak foe christmas. And I also wanted to say thanks for the offer Bowriter that was a nice offer. Im not sure how I misread or missed it but thanks.

can he swim?