Gonna Give it a Try

Trapper John

I've spent years shooting Clean Shot/American Pioneer Powder. I haven't had any problems with it and I hate to mess with what works but everyone talks about Triple Seven so much I have to give it a try.

The only real complaint I heard from people was about the "crud ring" that can form. I'm going to use those Winchester 209s made especially for 777 and swab between each shot. Hopefully that will keep the ring from forming.

Oh, and if this stuff isn't as great as I've heard I've got a list of names of the people who owe me money to pay for the $23 can. :grin:

CHRIS WILSON

777 is all I've used for the las 4 seasons. The crud ring thing seems to vary from rifle to rifle. My first mz formed it a little, but with my last two mz's it's non-existant.

vonb

Never had a problem shooting CCI #11s with loose 777 out of my MK-85. I had heard the crud ring issue was caused by the early 209s creating too hot of a spark. I think they've gotten the primers down to a science now.

Trapper John

jdyer said:
Is Pioneer powder as clean shooting as they say? I hate all the cleaning involved with my gun.

Yep. That's why I used it for so long. Amazingly easy to clean.

I have no idea how easy 777 is to clean. We'll find out.

Latest posts