A Reloader’s Approach to Muzzleloading

UTGrad

Yep, I weigh my charges and get it less than a tenth of a grain just like my handloads. BH209 and 300 grain Powerbelt Aerolites are touching.

70 grains by weight = 100 grains volume BH209

IMG_8833.jpeg

IMG_8834.jpeg

backyardtndeer

90 grains is like calling in an air strike. Man that's a lot of powder. My Accura MR is short and light so 70 grains is my top end. I shoot a lot and can't see my form staying together if I touched off 90 grains in my muzzleloader.
The MR I bought for my wife recoils a little harder than my v2. I had her shooting 105 grains triple 7 by volume iirc.

I always measured by volume, suppose I could have figured a conversion for weighing out powder. Haven't really fooled with our muzzleloaders since we went to cwd unit.

UTGrad

The MR I bought for my wife recoils a little harder than my v2. I had her shooting 105 grains triple 7 by volume iirc.

I always measured by volume, suppose I could have figured a conversion for weighing out powder. Haven't really fooled with our muzzleloaders since we went to cwd unit.

There is usually a conversion volume to weight on the powder manufacturers website.

To kill a deer, weighing charges isn't necessary. It's just the precision in me. I've killed plenty of deer with 2 Triple 7 pellets. Pellets can vary by 2-3 grains.

UTGrad

You had me at measuring powder. You lost me at powerbelts 😃

Powerbelt Aerotips are pretty much junk. The Aerolites are pretty good. Think of them as the "Berger" of muzzleloader conicals. Higher BC and able to expand down to lower velocities. I shoot the 300 grain Aerolites for more thump up close and adequate expansion.

I chrono'd my load. Not bad for a 300 grain conical and will get even better precision with weighing charges.

IMG_8841.png

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
Powerbelt Aerotips are pretty much junk. The Aerolites are pretty good. Think of them as the "Berger" of muzzleloader conicals. Higher BC and able to expand down to lower velocities. I shoot the 300 grain Aerolites for more thump up close and adequate expansion.

I chrono'd my load. Not bad for a 300 grain conical and will get even better precision with weighing charges.

View attachment 206221
I'm not familiar with the performance of the aerolites, and many love the performance of the regular powerbelts… I just got burned a few times on the aerotips on deer and swore them off. I'm not a long range muzzle loader shooter though. The concept of the aerolites is kinda cool though. I won't tell anyone what they should or shouldn't use, just thought that I'd gig you a little in good fun

UTGrad

I'm not familiar with the performance of the aerolites, and many love the performance of the regular powerbelts… I just got burned a few times on the aerotips on deer and swore them off. I'm not a long range muzzle loader shooter though. The concept of the aerolites is kinda cool though. I won't tell anyone what they should or shouldn't use, just thought that I'd gig you a little in good fun

Haha joke taken. I laughed when I first read your post.

PillsburyDoughboy

Weighing V Volume is a classic bench loaders argument.

Many a winners in the Bench loaders winners circuit uses a Volume based charge of measuring. They simply throw it.

Last I read and it's been awhile Jessie Hankins of HANKINS muzzleloading uses a volume based form of measuring in his smokeless. Maybe he has changed IDK.

Whatever works.

Latest posts