gonna be COLD

catman529

didn't think I would be excited to sit in 25 degree weather but that's the forecast for tomorrow morning, clear skies, NNE wind, man I hope the deer are moving! should be some cruising or maybe chasing bucks if I am lucky. Deer can come in from the east/woods or the north-northwest/grown up field aka "the bedding area." or possibly from the west but they don't usually come that way, they usually go that way. Anyway I will definitely need to wear those layers and bring a hand warmer or two. I can sweat on the way in and then be freezing cold after sitting a while, if I don't wear enough layers.

MUP

BigD_625 said:
Get you a neck gaiter. Something about keeping your neck warm...

I've found that out recently as well! Doesn't have to be a fleece or really thick either, but just a thin film of mat'l will keep the chill off. Now when it's REALLY cold, I'd opt for the thicker ones! :grin:

catman529

MUP said:
BigD_625 said:
Get you a neck gaiter. Something about keeping your neck warm...

I've found that out recently as well! Doesn't have to be a fleece or really thick either, but just a thin film of mat'l will keep the chill off. Now when it's REALLY cold, I'd opt for the thicker ones! :grin:
I have noticed that even a mesh face cover helps just a little, not much, but it cuts just a slight bit of air movement enough to notice. I need to get something warmer for my neck. I have a fleece head cover that's plenty warm, but that limits my hearing capabilities and hearing a deer coming in is very important.

BigD_625

You can keep you neck warm and leave off your mask so you can hear. I use a really thin mask ($5 at wally world), and it doesn't seem to affect hearing very much. With a boggin, thin mask, and neck gaiter, I can sit in extremely cold weather without my head or face getting cold. I don't put on the gaiter until I sit down, though. It gets too hot walking in it.

catman529

BigD_625 said:
You can keep you neck warm and leave off your mask so you can hear. I use a really thin mask ($5 at wally world), and it doesn't seem to affect hearing very much. With a boggin, thin mask, and neck gaiter, I can sit in extremely cold weather without my head or face getting cold. I don't put on the gaiter until I sit down, though. It gets too hot walking in it.
I have the same $5 mesh face mask. I need a gaiter to make it complete.

Coach

I've been wearing an old Cabelas neck gaitor for 15 seasons...the best thing I ever got for free! And you know...it has those smells about it, Hoppes Oil, leather from my gun straps, etc where it's stored in my hunting gear. Like visiting an old friend each year when I put it on. I don't wear anything on my ears or face, just a camo baseball cap and I've hunted some cold weather. If it stays cold it could be good for opening of rifle also...and, the best of it, I got my wood in for the wood stove and fireplace here at the old cabin!

Dbllunger

A ton of heat is lost through the neck and head. Fleece neck gaiter and fleece hat will keep you incredibly warm.

I heard once that the eskimos used to say that if you have cold feet, put on a hat. It is true.

ImThere

MossyBuck25 said:
Only thing that would make tom better is if it were snowing. Gonna be a good day either way. Can't Wait.
Wrong the only thing that would make tomorrow better is if i was off work!

Redfred16

Now this is deer hunting weather, we just need a few inches of snow to get them up on their feet. :grin:

I'll bring my jacket with me, but just going to wear my cold weather base layer tops and bottoms under my shell pants and a hoodie.

cleaver

Ive been using a primos spandex head and neck cover. Its thin enought to hear through and it takes some of the chill off if you dont like to wear anything thick. Its roomy enough that it doesnt pull your chin back like some of the tighter stretchy head covers. It cool to the tuch when you put it on but your body will heat it up quick. Its thin enough to wad up in your hip pocket

Latest posts