Going To Wright City MO.

TiminTN

I`m traveling to Wright City MO. tomorrow. A shooting buddy lives here and has done several 600 and 1000 yd matches up there has met a guy who is doing some metalwork for him that lives near the St Louis Benchrest Club, where the 1000 yd matches are held. He wants me to go as a companion to pick up the metalwork and told me to bring my rifles, that we could shoot an hour or so at the 1000 yd range. I kinda jumped at the chance. I have 1000 yd targets or we can shoot at the gong to see if I can get any hits. Oh, the gong is a 7 inch circle, same size as the 10 ring. Ought to be fun. I`m taking the Lt rifle chambered in the 6-47 Lapua 8" twist, shooting 115 grain Sierras at 3038 fps. This load is shooting in the high 2`s for me for 5 shots at 100 yds. ES has been from 5.7 fps to other days it has been as high as 21 fps.

TiminTN

I was wrong about our destination. We went to Aurora MO. I was confused on where the 1000 yd range is. Wright City is the St. Louis Benchrest Club but only has 600 yd range. They hold IBS 600 yd matches. We went to the Missouri Benchrest Club in Aurora MO. Let me say first, it was a beautiful drive, and seemed much like the Smith CO TN area, beautiful rollong hills.
Let me say I had some great help gettimg me on target as I misses the gong for the first 2 shots at 1000 but connected on shots 3, 4, and 5. I barely missed shot 6 as the wind must have let up a bit, but came back and hit again shot 7. I put that rifle up. I been working loads for it really hard, and seems like I may have a great one. I could tell the guys were impressed, but no more than me. The cool part of the 1000 yd shooting is you have time to quickly push the rifle back to battery and see your hit through the scope.

Latest posts