Gobbling in your area.

Carlos

What's everyone hearing from the Toms lately?
Yesterday was the first day in 2 weeks of hunting that I didn't hear multiple birds gobbling. Then today there was only 1 that started up around 0615. He was gobbling at a howling coyote of all things, gobbled back about 6-8 times before it went quiet again.

This is in Cumberland county btw.

Sam Davis

Jackson County quiet. Yesterday didn't hear no turkeys all morning on Cordell Hull lake. Son went hunting this morning didn't hear any gobblers at our farm.

Henry

Thursday our dog barked and one gobbled back. I put the dog inside and called the bird in. He came around the trees from the pond side and up the hill a little. I was sitting on the front porch and he popped his head up to see where the hen was. Sadly, our chickens were in the area so he became shy. He came running in really fast so, apparently, I'm the only "hen-ry" in his world now because the rest are over him. ;)

Last edited:

Bell3wv

What's everyone hearing from the Toms lately?
Yesterday was the first day in 2 weeks of hunting that I didn't hear multiple birds gobbling. Then today there was only 1 that started up around 0615. He was gobbling at a howling coyote of all things, gobbled back about 6-8 times before it went quiet again.

This is in Cumberland county btw.

They were talking this morning. I had 4-5 gobblers less than 100 yds away. Coyote snuck in and boogered them. Didn't get to shoot him either. Then the deer busted another couple I was working. Then Pepe came in when 3 Jakes had me pinned down.
All this from dawn until 10:30a when this ole man snuck in quiet. I was run over by every critter but a box turtle. Tagged out in Hawkins County. Get in the woods, they're talking.

Attachments

• IMG_20230506_101502.jpg
    IMG_20230506_101502.jpg
    443.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 20230506_102818.jpg
    20230506_102818.jpg
    317.8 KB · Views: 20

CHRIS WILSON

I was out Friday morning in Wilson county. Had three gobbling on the roost at day break. Two went pretty much silent after hitting the ground. One continued to gobble about every 20-30 minutes up until late morning. Never could get the old fart to come off the gravel road he was strutting on. It was a public land bird and I'm sure he's well educated at this point in the season.

wildside

yesterday in Hickman....one gobbler way off property. Heard nothing else. Saw 2 groups of jakes, 2 longboards with them but non responsive. Spotted longboard with hen at 11:30. Soft called, not my usual style, buddy shot him at 11:45

ROVERBOY

The ones this morning were shock gobbling at coyotes barking and howling. I set up on them and I called a little and they gobbled back but, when fly down happened, that was it.

Setterman

Question: Does this mean the birds are there just not talking vs the birds just aren't there?
I believe they are there, but just almost completely silent. I think the way the season has fallen it has coincided with peak henned up and they still haven't broken free because of the abnormally cold last couple of weeks. I killed two in KY so that was good. But TN has been a frustrating adventure thus far

fairchaser

Question: Does this mean the birds are there just not talking vs the birds just aren't there?
1. Not all birds gobble every day. 2. Some days no birds gobble at all. 3. On perfect days where birds are gobbling, only a percentage will gobble. Birds that gobble almost every day get dead real fast. Some birds will almost never gobble. I'm hunting one of those unfortunately.

Latest posts