Gly 4. Fields. Surrounded by Trees. Hm...

Trapper John

We bought a sprayer for the farm. Nothing huge. Just a 40 gallon skid mount that we can haul around in the back of the truck and spray the smaller fields and the roads. I was thinking of spraying down a couple of fields, but I'm new at this herbicide thing so I'm going to ask before I do some damage.

How far away from the treeline do I need to stay while I'm spraying? Also, I know wind can be an issue. I was told to make the spray pattern dense (big drops) and try my best to avoid windy days.

Or is this just too dangerous altogether for the trees? Some of these fields are completely surrounded by white oaks so I really, really don't want to kill something without meaning to.

HOOK

Drift is only a concern for other plants you dont want to kill and for your safety as well...you don't want spray comimg on to you! You don't need a heavy drip but, a saturating spray..what helps with this is adding a surficant. This can be accomplished by simply adding a few ounces of dish washing liquid to your mixture. The soap assists the herbicide in "Clinging" to the plant thus causing a more effective kill. When you mix your tank...put the water in first...then add your Gly and the soap last to avoid bubbles.

Truedouble

Always gotten a good kill, even on fescue with 3 oz. per gallon. Gly is pretty cheap but if you are spraying multiple acres I'd go with the recommended amount (2-3 oz. per acre) to keep from throwing away money.