Garmin Questions

Spurhunter

We have a few guys here that know more about Garmin than Garmin, so I'll ask here. I currently run 3 Echomap93sv Plus units. One at the console, one at the bow for traditional sonar and down imaging, and one at the bow for mapping. My console unit and mapping unit communicate through an ethernet cable. The sonar unit is stand alone. I can connect any of the 3 to my Garmin Force trolling motor wirelessly. Life is good. But, I just bought a GPSMAP 1222 that I will use with Livescope Plus. Will all of these units communicate through the black box that comes with the LS Plus? When I am crappie fishing I will be using primarily LS, so I won't need but one 93sv at the bow. When I'm bass fishing I will be using traditional sonar instead of LS (I think). Will the 1222 work with my GT (I think it's a 54) that came with my 93sv? I guess I'm asking if I can eliminate one 93 at the bow and do everything I need to do with a 1222 and a 93 and have everything communicate through the black box? I could possibly use the 1222 for LS only, but the bow of my boat is going to get pretty crowded.

TNReb

I'm definitely not a Garmin expert... but...

The black box that comes with the LVS34 is only a module for processing the Live Scope data.

Unfortunately, the Garmin GPSMAP products (the 1222) cannot share data with the Echomap products (the 93sv), nor vice versa.

Spurhunter

I'm definitely not a Garmin expert... but...

The black box that comes with the LVS34 is only a module for processing the Live Scope data.

Unfortunately, the Garmin GPSMAP products (the 1222) cannot share data with the Echomap products (the 93sv), nor vice versa.
Sounds like my 1222 will be used only for LS then and I will have to find room for everything.

WTM

agree with above on the networking, have to stay in the dame family. you would have to add a sonar box to the 1222 to use a xducer unless its the xsv model, depending on the xducer.

those plus units should have came with either a CV52 or a GT52. in order to connect them to a 1222 is to add a gsd25 but at $750 not really worth it for those xducers.

the gt54 is not compatible with a sonar box, but a gcv 20 sonar module is compatible with a gt34 and now a gt36.(same as gt54/gt56 minus the 2d sonar. you have to add a 2d xducer with a y cable) $350 bucks for the sonar module and has 3 network ports.

a dual bow, dual console would be another consideration. that way at the console you could increase your screen space and split side imaging left and right on two units.

at the bow you can partially run the 93sv plus off of the force built in gt54 (minus the 1200 khz si) and use the 1222 for dedicated panoptix. the 800khz di and 455khz si off the force should be fairly decent on the plus unit.

bluball

agree with above on the networking, have to stay in the dame family. you would have to add a sonar box to the 1222 to use a xducer unless its the xsv model, depending on the xducer.

those plus units should have came with either a CV52 or a GT52. in order to connect them to a 1222 is to add a gsd25 but at $750 not really worth it for those xducers.

the gt54 is not compatible with a sonar box, but a gcv 20 sonar module is compatible with a gt34 and now a gt36.(same as gt54/gt56 minus the 2d sonar. you have to add a 2d xducer with a y cable) $350 bucks for the sonar module and has 3 network ports.

a dual bow, dual console would be another consideration. that way at the console you could increase your screen space and split side imaging left and right on two units.

at the bow you can partially run the 93sv plus off of the force built in gt54 (minus the 1200 khz si) and use the 1222 for dedicated panoptix. the 800khz di and 455khz si off the force should be fairly decent on the plus unit.
Si at console sharing waypoints with the front,both 93sv's.1222 for livescope only at bow is probally the best setup and what most do.With livescope at the bow nobody runs 2d or di from the bow,atleast any that i know of.They may have a unit on the bow that will do 2d and di but they never use them.I have a 8612 livescope only,bird helix 10 di with just a mega 360 transducer hooked to it and lowrsnce 9 gen 2 touch for waypoint sharing/mapping.Since livescope i personally havent seen a need for 2d or di upfront

Spurhunter

Thanks guys. I don't know how yall remember all that stuff. I thought about two 93sv units at the bow but didn't see the point until WTM mentioned side scan having one screen for each side. I have a lot to consider. I'm sure I'll be asking more questions. BTW, I want a good mount for the 1222 that will get the unit higher than my 9" Ballzout. What do you recommend?

bluball

Thanks guys. I don't know how yall remember all that stuff. I thought about two 93sv units at the bow but didn't see the point until WTM mentioned side scan having one screen for each side. I have a lot to consider. I'm sure I'll be asking more questions. BTW, I want a good mount for the 1222 that will get the unit higher than my 9" Ballzout. What do you recommend?
Cornfield crappie,but might as well get the double mount if buying one.If your 93's are the sv plus and not the uhd version they wont work with the livescope plus.The 1222 and the 93uhd will work with the livescope plus.

woodsman04

I like this conversation although it's way over my head.

I currently have a Garmin Echomap 73sv on the bow with the GT 54 transducer on the trolling motor. But right now I basically only use it for the livescope 32. At the console I have a Lowrance Hook2 7" with the triple shot.

I would like to make an upgrade at the console from the Lowrance hook2 to something else. I don't know if it's me or the unit or the settings. But even when I'm just trolling around I'll play with the Garmin on the bow with 2D and clearVu. It seems so much better than the Hook2 at the console in all aspects.
I have a navionics chip in my lowrance. I was considering just using the lowrance screen for a map and getting something different to use for sonar/side/down scan.

Any advice or recommendations?

Spurhunter

I like this conversation although it's way over my head.

I currently have a Garmin Echomap 73sv on the bow with the GT 54 transducer on the trolling motor. But right now I basically only use it for the livescope 32. At the console I have a Lowrance Hook2 7" with the triple shot.

I would like to make an upgrade at the console from the Lowrance hook2 to something else. I don't know if it's me or the unit or the settings. But even when I'm just trolling around I'll play with the Garmin on the bow with 2D and clearVu. It seems so much better than the Hook2 at the console in all aspects.
I have a navionics chip in my lowrance. I was considering just using the lowrance screen for a map and getting something different to use for sonar/side/down scan.

Any advice or recommendations?
It's way over my head too! Personally I like my console unit and bow unit to communicate. You could pick up a 9" echomap for the console and connect the units with an ethernet cable. Where this comes in handy is if you are side imaging at the console and you see something holding fish. Run your cursor over, mark it, go up front, get on the trolling motor and the waypoint will be on the bow unit as well. You are the first person I've heard of using LS on a 7" unit.

woodsman04

It's way over my head too! Personally I like my console unit and bow unit to communicate. You could pick up a 9" echomap for the console and connect the units with an ethernet cable. Where this comes in handy is if you are side imaging at the console and you see something holding fish. Run your cursor over, mark it, go up front, get on the trolling motor and the waypoint will be on the bow unit as well. You are the first person I've heard of using LS on a 7" unit.
LS on my 73sv isn't bad. I have found fish and caught crappie. Although when I find some brush I can't tell if they are crappie or bream, I assume it's usually a mix. It's all I've ever had and I have never fished with anyone that had livescope before. So I don't know any difference. I got it in August. Still trying to figure things out.

I kind of would like to get a 9" for the bow and LS, and move the 7" to the console.

I think if I could get my lowrance to read right (or me learn how to read it and set it up) I would spend more time idling looking for structure or fish. I'm almost to the point now where I just put the trolling motor down, livescope arm down, and start trolling and scanning.

The idea of idling with side scan or even 2d or down scan and marking it and walking up front sounds good. I'm old school, I still use buoys when I drive over something. Haha

Spurhunter

LS on my 73sv isn't bad. I have found fish and caught crappie. Although when I find some brush I can't tell if they are crappie or bream, I assume it's usually a mix. It's all I've ever had and I have never fished with anyone that had livescope before. So I don't know any difference. I got it in August. Still trying to figure things out.

I kind of would like to get a 9" for the bow and LS, and move the 7" to the console.

I think if I could get my lowrance to read right (or me learn how to read it and set it up) I would spend more time idling looking for structure or fish. I'm almost to the point now where I just put the trolling motor down, livescope arm down, and start trolling and scanning.

The idea of idling with side scan or even 2d or down scan and marking it and walking up front sounds good. I'm old school, I still use buoys when I drive over something. Haha
I love buoys except for the fact that they attract other fishermen.

Latest posts