Garmin Echomap heads up

Crow Terminator

This is an apparent well known issue to those in the Garmin loop but that I wasn't aware of. I'm posting here as a heads up to those who may not know like me. The Echomap series uses a cradle to snap the control unit in place. It's a neat feature...the wires go into the back of the cradle so you can quickly disconnect the control unit without having to loosen the wires every time.

I went fishing yesterday and got to the ramp and my new unit was gone. It had detached from the cradle between the house and the river. LUCKILY it fell off my side console Ram mount and landed in the boat instead of the road. On Bass Boat Central there is thread after thread about this issue. Especially from people going down the lake and they pop off and go into the water. I'm not too keen on this. Some say there's a specific way it has to snap in place...others say it still will pop loose. All I can say is..it happened to me and I got lucky. I definitely won't be going down the road with it attached anymore.

blueball

The one i had i would snsp it in then kinda pull around on it.Had it for a yr and never had a problem.I think someone makes something that keeps it from coming off,cant remember which company

Crow Terminator

That's a better solution than my idea. I was going to put zip ties around it. That's a bad feeling when you get out of the truck and see the control unit gone. I had made sure it clicked into place before we left. The only thing that saved it from taking a road beating was my dad didn't like the swing arm Ram mount I have it on; or rather the angle I had it. He didn't like it sticking out so he moved it in.

Spurhunter

I have 3 Echomap Plus 93sv units in my boat. I have read about the problem as well. I snap mine in and pull on them to check, and I put mine on and off at the ramp. I don't allow anyone else to snap them in.