Food Plots Future plot/stump removal

09FX4

I need some advice on how to handle the stumps in a field expansion I'm doing. I'd like to plant this field this summer and I will be doing soil samples once the stumps are gone. Is this something one of the big forestry mulchers can handle, should I rent an excavator or pay someone to do it? I've got access to a 9 or 10 ton mini excavator for 3 days whenever I need it.

Attachments

• 14139BF1-922E-4546-9AC6-5D027933765B.jpeg
    14139BF1-922E-4546-9AC6-5D027933765B.jpeg
    639.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 82A67A60-B430-4B2A-8389-B13E944F7B87.jpeg
    82A67A60-B430-4B2A-8389-B13E944F7B87.jpeg
    628.6 KB · Views: 88
  • E1DAF0B0-EE93-4533-B8C9-409BAE879D24.jpeg
    E1DAF0B0-EE93-4533-B8C9-409BAE879D24.jpeg
    625.8 KB · Views: 89

BSK

That's going to be a killer plot! Good luck with it.

By the way, what model John Deere is that? Looks exactly like ours (3032E).

DoubleRidge

Forestry mulcher will get them to ground level or slightly below but you will have a portion of the stump and roots just below ground level to deal with...also the wood chips which eventually will rot...but in the near future will be present.

We had two log loading decks that had huge stumps in them...so we had to hire a big dozer to come in and remove them.

From the pics you posted some of the stumps look smaller...I'd try the excavator you have access to....get what you can....then hire out the rest....you will be happier with the stumps gone when you go to planting.

LanceS4803

I listened to the podcast where they discussed mineral stumps and the nutritional value of the young growth.. interesting stuff!! MSU deer Lab does some great work.
The OP just has to decide if it is worth the extra trouble to plant around them. But, mineral stumps won't get tall enough to block out sunlight. And if they do, cut them back again.

BSK

I listened to the podcast where they discussed mineral stumps and the nutritional value of the young growth.. interesting stuff!! MSU deer Lab does some great work.
One of the reasons you can clear-cut a white oak forest and only get a poplar forest in return. Deer will eat all the white oak stump sprouts. That's one of the reasons I don't clear-cut anymore. I will cut heavy, but I want some 25+ year-old white oaks scattered around in the cut to reseed from acorns.

TNTreeman

I need some advice on how to handle the stumps in a field expansion I'm doing. I'd like to plant this field this summer and I will be doing soil samples once the stumps are gone. Is this something one of the big forestry mulchers can handle, should I rent an excavator or pay someone to do it? I've got access to a 9 or 10 ton mini excavator for 3 days whenever I need it.
Rent you a decent self propelled stump grinder or contact a tree person . Most are slow now and you'll get a better price now vs spring summer.

Henry

One of the reasons you can clear-cut a white oak forest and only get a poplar forest in return. Deer will eat all the white oak stump sprouts. That's one of the reasons I don't clear-cut anymore. I will cut heavy, but I want some 25+ year-old white oaks scattered around in the cut to reseed from acorns.
The Poplar issue happened here before we bought the place and I'd like to fix it. Did the deer there happen to leave any nice sized acorns someone a couple hours away could come and pick up off the ground? lol.
I'd like to start clearing some Poplar each year and push some acorns into the soil here. It might be worth some time to put a tall fence up for a few years in each area to allow them a chance to grow. Could mix in some fruit trees.

Last edited:

megalomaniac

Different train of thought.... if thise stumps are on the south side (shady side) of the plot, I wouldn't waste my money or time clearing them, as the plot looks so narrow and not much will grow on the shady side anyways.

If they are on the sunny side of the plot, I'd def get rid of them.

Latest posts