Food Plots Frost seeding

megalomaniac

I hate to say it... but I'm actually glad for this time of the year. No pressure to work on plots until late April/ early May, don't have to stress about incoming fronts/ rain, weeds aren't growing.

Turn my brain off from Nov till May... then start the 5 months of stressing from May till Sept getting spring plots in followed by fall plots. My blood pressure would be 20pts higher if I were a farmer actually trying to make a living from planting!

James72

Frost seeded about half of our clover fields today. Going to do the other half probably the first of March. Feels good to sling a little seed today. Itching for spring. A lot of work between now and then but itching for it.
Do you use ladino white clover when frost seeding?

TNlandowner

frost seeded mine last Monday. Then got hit with a monsoon this week. now I get to worry if my 2 ac of seed got pounded in or washed away haha.
I have similar concerns about seed washing way.... This year I frost seeded for the first time. I sure hope to get good results as this much easier than planting in the late fall.

BSK

I hate to say it... but I'm actually glad for this time of the year. No pressure to work on plots until late April/ early May, don't have to stress about incoming fronts/ rain, weeds aren't growing.

Turn my brain off from Nov till May... then start the 5 months of stressing from May till Sept getting spring plots in followed by fall plots. My blood pressure would be 20pts higher if I were a farmer actually trying to make a living from planting!
This, this and this!

Actually, I still have to take down all the ladder-stand burlap wraps so they don't rot. Plus I have to finish finding/marking trees for potential stand locations for next year. Always something...

Split Brow

Frost seeding this early with the warmer weather that we have had, is there a chance that it starts sprouting and maybe sometime mid to late March a big cold snap comes and kills it off, or would it be better to wait until that time frame to sow the clover? just a thought.

JCDEERMAN

Will the crimson frost-seeded now bloom out at the same time as crimson planted in fall, or will it last longer?
That's a good question. I've never planted it in the spring, only ladino. But everything I've read said it's good to plant annuals in the spring because they have so much more energy than a perennial and will bolt fast. I was looking for some Yucci Arrowleaf to add to it but couldn't find any. These three in a mix are what @tellico recommended.

tellico4x4

That's a good question. I've never planted it in the spring, only ladino. But everything I've read said it's good to plant annuals in the spring because they have so much more energy than a perennial and will bolt fast. I was looking for some Yucci Arrowleaf to add to it but couldn't find any. These three in a mix are what @tellico recommended.
Probably about same time

BSK

I wouldn't mind top-seeding some arrowleaf now. What I planted in fall in past years didn't bloom out until 4th of July. That would give me only a month and a half "dead period" before I replant for next fall (mid to late August).

Latest posts