Food Plots Frost seed in these spots?

dgolden

I have 2 areas that are transition areas between AG fields. What are Tndeer's thoughts on frost seeding clover in these areas? Think it's enough sunlight to grow?

Attachments

• 26F3D3D9-6CE0-40CB-8E5A-8F284CE78D26.jpeg
    26F3D3D9-6CE0-40CB-8E5A-8F284CE78D26.jpeg
    684.5 KB · Views: 54
  • C6C60A89-1301-4422-AD9C-FF683B2FD94A.jpeg
    C6C60A89-1301-4422-AD9C-FF683B2FD94A.jpeg
    666.1 KB · Views: 55

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Absolutely! But make it better by limbing up what you can with a pole saw, especially the cedars and pine. Their needles give off a gas as they decay that prevents most anything from germinating and are acidic as well. Looks like a sweet spot. As we have been discussing in other threads plant a blend of clovers for best results

TNlandowner

heck yeah, get those little clover seeds spread ASAP. I bought discounted clover seed last week, then top seeded 10 plots yesterday before this storm hit. The AG & Co-op folks sure believed now is a great time to frost seed...

BSK

Oh heck yes! The below pictured plot is 150 yards long but only 10-15 yards wide along most of it's length. It's in the bottom of a valley where it only gets around 2 hours of direct sunlight a day. Yet it will grow a great crop of clover, and has been one of our most productive hunting plots over the years.

Attachments

• plots13.jpg
    plots13.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 42

deerhunter10

No it has not. It usually gets bush hogged once a year. Would it be best to like it first?
Go ahead with it you can lime it in spring. It usually take a while for lime to actually get into the ground and take full affect anyways. We generally lime in the fall. If you are worried about it take a soil sample figure out what it actually needs. But it will be a good spot to do for sure.

tellico4x4

No it has not. It usually gets bush hogged once a year. Would it be best to like it first?
Pellatized lime will act quick & no bigger than those are won't be hard to do. Pellatized will only last a year & dolomite (ag lime) will last several years but is slower to act. If it was me, I'd spread pellatized as soon as possible, do the frost seed & come back later with the ag lime.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Pellatized lime will act quick & no bigger than those are won't be hard to do. Pellatized will only last a year & dolomite (ag lime) will last several years but is slower to act. If it was me, I'd spread pellatized as soon as possible, do the frost seed & come back later with the ag lime.
I mix my clover seed with pelletized lime to get a more even distribution

BSK

Excellent advice.

I mix my clover seed with pelletized lime to get a more even distribution
I'm going to have to try that.

Latest posts