Frost seeding

Jarred525

I was going to frost seed this weekend. I see the first subfreezing morning looks to be Friday. Should I try it then or wait til Saturday and see if I can do it with some snow on the ground? Looks like I am going to have a number of cold mornings after that, which is good.

Jarred525

I know, I am slacking :) But looks like we are going to have some cold weather for frost to work the seed in the ground for at least the next 2 weeks.

AT Hiker

A general rule of thumb is the last two weeks in Feb. But I would contact your UT County Extension Agent to get their advise in your particular area. We frost seed our hay fields and pasture about every other year with regal red and ladino white clovers at a rate of 6lbs,2lbs per acre. This saves us from applying much if any N fertilizer. The last few droughts have hurt us real bad, but we still get really good results. Just make sure the seed is able to contact the soil (which usually is not a problem this time of year).

Mr. Hawk

I have some land that I had cleared by a dozer this week and want to plant some plots. What is recommended to plant right now? Just clover?

AT Hiker

Mr. Hawk said:
I have some land that I had cleared by a dozer this week and want to plant some plots. What is recommended to plant right now? Just clover?

Alfalfa, chickory, and clovers are all pretty much ready to plant this time of year (with a early March planting date).

If it is bare ground you could even plant oats as a quick germinating grain, do not plant wheat.

These is specific to livestock management, but all of the above are great for wildlife too. Fescue, orchard grass, etc is great to plant early Spring too, but as you know are not wildlife friendly plants.

Here are some good sources, although these are research based guides it is still important to understand your needs will likely be different and your ground will truly be individual. Basically it is OK to "experiment" within logic. For example, we cattle farm but love to hunt...so we have found a middle ground that works for us. We establish heavy red/white clovers in our hay fields, in return we use less N, have better quality hay, and the wildlife are attracted to our "cattle" hay fields (specifically deer/turkey).
http://forages.tennessee.edu/Page%204-% ... /pb378.pdf
https://utextension.tennessee.edu/publi ... PB1769.pdf

Football Hunter

AT Hiker said:
Mr. Hawk said:

Alfalfa, chickory, and clovers are all pretty much ready to plant this time of year (with a early March planting date).

If it is bare ground you could even plant oats as a quick germinating grain, do not plant wheat.

These is specific to livestock management, but all of the above are great for wildlife too. Fescue, orchard grass, etc is great to plant early Spring too, but as you know are not wildlife friendly plants.

Here are some good sources, although these are research based guides it is still important to understand your needs will likely be different and your ground will truly be individual. Basically it is OK to "experiment" within logic. For example, we cattle farm but love to hunt...so we have found a middle ground that works for us. We establish heavy red/white clovers in our hay fields, in return we use less N, have better quality hay, and the wildlife are attracted to our "cattle" hay fields (specifically deer/turkey).
http://forages.tennessee.edu/Page%204-% ... /pb378.pdf
https://utextension.tennessee.edu/publi ... PB1769.pdf
I wouldn plant any type of true grasses,deer wont eat them,unless they are starving,and,you'll just have to kill em later.And it wont be easy killing them.

Latest posts