Frost seeding

GOTTA B REALTREE

What exactly is frost seeding? I have new property and am planning to plant a mixture of clover this spring. Durana for sure And maybe patriot with it for quicker growth. If frost seeding is a good success, I'd like to try it next month.

PickettSFHunter

You go out in the winter and broadcast your seed on top of the ground. The freeze/thaw action of the soil in Winter works the seed into the ground. I like to use it to thicken up thin spots in existing clover fields, works well for that. I have some Resolute Im about to do just that with.

woodsman87

GOTTA B REALTREE said:
What exactly is frost seeding? I have new property and am planning to plant a mixture of clover this spring. Durana for sure And maybe patriot with it for quicker growth. If frost seeding is a good success, I'd like to try it next month.

Im glad you asked this question and got responses because it answered some of my questions. I gotta try it out!

I like planting stuff for wildlife as much as I like hunting them.

Boll Weevil

Jarred525 said:
Do you guys like to do yours as close to spring as possible or does it really matter?
You want to sow with enough time for the freeze-thaw-freeze-thaw to work the tiny seeds into the soil. Wait too late, and the opportunity will be missed.

GOODWIN

I have a decent plot of durana clover but would like to fill in the gaps. What type of clover would be good for this as I'd like a cheaper alternative than durana. This plot gets a minimal amount of sunlight.

Ballerski

Besides clover, what else works well when frost seeding? I have some land i just cleared and would like to frost seed some WR or WW with clover to help hold the soil. Is WW too big to frost seed? Any thoughts?

Latest posts