Food Plots Frost seed clover question

RedDawg

I have a two acre plot planted in corn the last two years. (It's heavy clay soil and I have a fresh soil test to help with the needed additives.) The corn did great. A lot of the stalks are still standing. I want to turn it back into a clover field which it was prior to the two corn years. Can I frost seed Durana clover into the standing stalks and then bush hog the stalks later?

Option 2 is to do it the old fashioned way - bush hog, plow, disk, broadcast and cultipack this spring. I like option 1 better - if it will give decent results. Your thoughts?

megalomaniac

Yes, you can frost seed clover in the standing stalks and bushhog later.. but expect a good bit of weed competition if the ground already has a good bit of volunteer weed growth under the stalks.

If you get a good stand of clover, you can tidy it up later in the year with some 24db and clethedonium.

This week,, im getting Dad to frost seed crimson clover in some pockets we reclaimed and drilled in fescue for hay last fall. I hate fescue, and the only way I allowed Dad to drill it was if he promised to frost seed some clover in with it.

wildlifefarmer

I have a two acre plot planted in corn the last two years. (It's heavy clay soil and I have a fresh soil test to help with the needed additives.) The corn did great. A lot of the stalks are still standing. I want to turn it back into a clover field which it was prior to the two corn years. Can I frost seed Durana clover into the standing stalks and then bush hog the stalks later?

Option 2 is to do it the old fashioned way - bush hog, plow, disk, broadcast and cultipack this spring. I like option 1 better - if it will give decent results. Your thoughts?
if you just frost seed, you better have a good sprayer for the weed problems.