From Dr. Harpers lips to your ears... Must listen.

Bgoodman30

This will definitely trigger some folks. From their data in ARU's (Acoustic research units). "After May 15th most of the gobbling is done"

I disagree with this some I think its farm specific. Depends on if any hens available..

Andy S.

And I qoute. "Animals are eating turkeys at an alarming rate and that's affecting their productivity. Period"..
Are hunters considered "animals"? If not, we should be. As a whole, with all the gadgets/props/technology of today, we are the most effective/efficient "killing" hunters to ever hunt/kill the wild turkey.

Andy S.

I disagree with this some I think its farm specific.
Guaranteed. You cannot study a somewhat suppressed turkey population in 5 counties and make wholesale far reaching conclusions about statewide turkey population/dynamics. We have 95 counties that span 27M acres, with noticeable land type/land use/climate variances from Memphis to Bristol. One size does not fit all. I love research as much as anyone, and lived it for 15 years at Ames with Dr. Harper and others, but boots on the ground real life hunting experience and year in and year out hunter observations have to be a part of the plan as well. I've seen firsthand what some deer research data "suggested" at times, when the reality for the hunter in the woods was 180° from what was being concluded/conveyed to the masses. My .02

Last edited:

Bgoodman30

And the big
Are hunters considered "animals"? If not, we should be. As a whole, with all the gadgets/props/technology of today, we are the most effective/efficient "killing" hunters to ever hunt/kill the wild turkey.

Sure but not what he was talking about. He was talking specifically about predation. Hunters aren't killing poults or nest.

He said nest success was some of the lowest last year after delay EVER...

Bgoodman30

Guaranteed. You cannot study a somewhat suppressed turkey population in 5 counties and make wholesale far reaching conclusions about statewide turkey population/dynamics. We have 95 counties that span 27M acres, with noticeable land type/land use/climate variances from Memphis to Bristol. One size does not fit all. I love research as much as anyone, and lived it for 15 years at Ames with Dr. Harper and others, but boots on the ground real life hunting experience and year in and year out hunter observations have to be a part of the plan as well. I've seen firsthand what some deer research data "suggested" at times, when the reality for the hunter in the woods was 180° from what was being concluded/conveyed to the masses. My .02

I would definitely listen first.. His data and findings mirror my personal and peer group observations to a T..

Andy S.

Sure but not what he was talking about. He was talking about specifically about predation. Hunters aren't killing poults or nest.

He said nest success was some of the lowest last year after delay EVER...
Agree, predators and raptors are out of control in a lot of areas, but that is not going to change for the better any time soon. Predators are a constant, regardless of the month. They do not care about delayed season or no delay. They have one goal, to eat and survive, and will raid/eat a nest in April just as fast they will raid one in July. I do not see the difference.

Remington700

I read all of these findings and wonder what predators are doing the most damage? Also, why has the predator problem gotten so bad as of late. I figure mostly a change in hunters and trappers actions. You do not see many people coon hunting like they did 20 years ago. Also, trapping is not done a lot either.

Bgoodman30

Agree, predators and raptors are out of control in a lot of areas, but that is not going to change for the better any time soon. Predators are a constant, regardless of the month. They do not care about delayed season or no delay. They have one goal, to eat and survive, and will raid/eat a nest in April just as fast they will raid one in July. I do not see the difference.

He was asked if trapping can make a difference on your property and his answer was "Absolutely" especially on larger tracts.

Not sure what you mean by not seeing a difference? Between hunters and predators?

Bgoodman30

I read all of these findings and wonder what predators are doing the most damage? Also, why has the predator problem gotten so bad as of late. I figure mostly a change in hunters and trappers actions. You do not see many people coon hunting like they did 20 years ago. Also, trapping is not done a lot either.
Racoons for sure.

Bgoodman30

Well can predators not become more efficient at killing their prey? Maybe turkeys exploded on the landscape and so did the predators that feed on them? Its the same thing for fishing. If you have an explosion of shad and bream populations in your pond what do you think the bass population will do?

He mentioned study in 1988 where nest success was 62%! Now its 20%... Its quite simple..

Andy S.

Not sure what you mean by not seeing a difference? Between hunters and predators?
Difference as in how the later start date or earlier start has anything to do with predators. Maybe that was not the point, but here is my point about predators as a whole across the State.

Predators are a constant and will remain a constant UNLESS someone or a team of someones trap feverishly FOREVER. Simply unrealistic in the grand scheme of things. People/hunters are too busy as it is and trapping is not a priority to 99.5% of hunters. When I was in Ames, some researchers from a huge southern plantation briefed us at our annual dinner on their coyote trapping research. The bottom line was their hunting club/ plantation paid good money to have dedicated trappers trap for a few years with incredible results for a short period of time. Coyote population declined and the fawn recruitment exploded during that time. Here's the rub: as soon as the funding/trapping stopped, the coyotes moved back in and things were "back to normal" in short order. A very short term expensive improvement that was not sustainable due to the cost.

Last edited:

Bgoodman30

Difference as in how the later start date or earlier start has anything to do with predators. Maybe that was not the point, but here is my point about predators as a whole across the State.

Predators are a constant and remain a constant UNLESS someone or a team of someones trap feverishly FOREVER. Simply unrealistic in the grand scheme of things. People/hunters are too busy as it is and trapping is not a priority to 99.5% of hunters. When I was in Ames, some researchers from a huge southern plantation briefed us at oiur annual dinner on their coyote trapping research. The bottom line was their hunting club/ plantation paid good money to have dedicated trappers trap for a few years with incredible results for a short period of time. Coyote population declined and the fawn recruitment exploded during that time. Here's the rub: as soon as the funding/trapping stopped, the coyotes moved back in and things were "back to normal" in short order. A very short term expensive improvement that was not sustainable due to the cost.

Agreed. Habitat, trapping and brooding cover is the only way. Sustainable only on a small scale yes…

Setterman

The statement that there is less gobbling after 5/15 is accurate, however what is gobbling is usually a player

OP you are hell bent against the early opener. Personally I don't know right now it's impact but logically it makes sense to be a positive.

If they move the season up a week we will be flooded with OOS hunters because as of right now we don't open any earlier than their home states

Bgoodman30

The statement that there is less gobbling after 5/15 is accurate, however what is gobbling is usually a player

OP you are hell bent against the early opener. Personally I don't know right now it's impact but logically it makes sense to be a positive.

If they move the season up a week we will be flooded with OOS hunters because as of right now we don't open any earlier than their home states

Not true actually. I was discussing this with a friend earlier and really I am on the fence but that's for selfish reasons. There are pros and cons to the delay. I think moving it back one week is a happy medium.

Although I am hell bent on that the delay was not successful to increase productivity statewide which happens to be the findings of Dr. H and his research..

Bgoodman30

Anyways I don't really want to argue about this again plenty of time for that in the offseason. I just thought this was a good podcast and must listen for those who care. This is a joyful time and I wish y'all much success.

Latest posts