Fresh Deer Backstrap!

Kimber45

SONNNNNNNNNN!! Read a little advice on here about not salting the deer meat while soaking out the blood - to help prevent drying out the meat. Soaked about 18 hrs.. Rinsed, patted dry - made a marinate with Ital Drsng, cheap a$$ wine, honey mustard, ketchup and some dry seasoning - tenderized very lightly - marinated 24 hrs and grilled tonight!! THE BEST I have ever had!! 15 yr old kids came out of the wood work around here and it was gone MUCH faster than it took to grill it! lol :)

762hunter

thats what I've got going for deer camp tomorrow night.

Try to butterfly it
Add some japaleno pepper slices
butter knife dab of cream cheese
inside the butterfly

wrap in bacon

poke toothpicks holding bacon

grill to liking!

Rule #1 dont over cook

Now go get more backstrap!

Kimber45

762hunter said:
thats what I've got going for deer camp tomorrow night.

Try to butterfly it
Add some japaleno pepper slices
butter knife dab of cream cheese
inside the butterfly

wrap in bacon

poke toothpicks holding bacon

grill to liking!

Rule #1 dont over cook

Now go get more backstrap!

Well, the grill died and I had another backstrap soaking for last night SO the broiler came to mind in the oven.. Bad idea as I am not an oven chef at all - overcooked! It was still good and was consumed promptly - especially by my 15 yr old who shot the deer and as he ate it he said, this is NOT as good as last week but it's still good :) The broiler pan was nearly FULL from all the juices that cooked out. IF, I ever try that again, I will not use the grated cover for the broiler so to not lose all the juices and will definately cook a few minutes less..

TNDeerGuy

Kimber, for broiler or stovetop you can try these.

http://www.channel4.com/player/v2/playe ... howId=6313 <<<you can stop at the part where he finishes the meat, but the pepper addition is very good as well and balances well with the meat

a variation to this is one I use all of time and it is very similar in cooking method to this one, here is how to do it...

season the backstrap with salt, pepper, garlic(I use powder), rosemary and thyme and then lightly dredge in olive oil and place in fridge for 2-4 hours to marinate. Take out of fridge and preheat broiler oven to 400. After the preheat is done, take skillet, lightly coated again with olive oil and to heat to high and sear the backstrap on each side using the stovetop,1-2 minutes just to brown it, similar to how he did it in his video--although, your not cooking here like he did, just searing the outside to seal in juices. You will use butter after you finish searing as he did in the video with the pan removed from the heat. After searing lightly wrap the backstrap in foil and place under broiler for 6-8 minutes for medium rare--how venison should cooked. It will melt in your mouth and the flavors are amazing.

To add I always soak mine in milk and get great results.

Kimber45

TNDeerGuy said:
Kimber, for broiler or stovetop you can try these.

http://www.channel4.com/player/v2/playe ... howId=6313 <<<you can stop at the part where he finishes the meat, but the pepper addition is very good as well and balances well with the meat

a variation to this is one I use all of time and it is very similar in cooking method to this one, here is how to do it...

season the backstrap with salt, pepper, garlic(I use powder), rosemary and thyme and then lightly dredge in olive oil and place in fridge for 2-4 hours to marinate. Take out of fridge and preheat broiler oven to 400. After the preheat is done, take skillet, lightly coated again with olive oil and to heat to high and sear the backstrap on each side using the stovetop,1-2 minutes just to brown it, similar to how he did it in his video--although, your not cooking here like he did, just searing the outside to seal in juices. You will use butter after you finish searing as he did in the video with the pan removed from the heat. After searing lightly wrap the backstrap in foil and place under broiler for 6-8 minutes for medium rare--how venison should cooked. It will melt in your mouth and the flavors are amazing.

To add I always soak mine in milk and get great results.

Sounds like good advice! My wife said I should have heated the broiler by itself long enough/hot enough to use it for searing, or something to that effect..

I am looking forward to more practice soon :)

Think I'm going to make an "attempt" to butcher at least one myself on the next go around too. Watched some dang good video on Youtube from an old butcher who pointed out some shortcuts etc and made it look relatively easy.

TAFKAP

Actually, dry meat is preferrable. "Brining" in salt water will help draw the blood out, but also moisturize & flavor the meat completely to the center.

If you remove it and dry it in the fridge for a couple of days, it will sear much better.

It's a big reason they dry age those $100 steaks.

huntinkev

I seen a recipe other day I havn't tried yet. cut backstraps about 2" pieces put in a dish pour apple cider to cover them put in fridge for a few hours. drain cider and cover with bbq sauce and back in fridge for another hour or so. then pull them out wrap in bacon and grill. I will have to try it sounds good.

Kimber45

huntinkev said:
I seen a recipe other day I havn't tried yet. cut backstraps about 2" pieces put in a dish pour apple cider to cover them put in fridge for a few hours. drain cider and cover with bbq sauce and back in fridge for another hour or so. then pull them out wrap in bacon and grill. I will have to try it sounds good.

Will have to try that!

basset

have some soaking now in equal parts of vinegar & olive oil with Italian seasoning herbs, will report back tonight.

tbam

did this last night.......

dales and brown sugar mariated for 5 hours..
then coated with the thick part of marinate...wrapped in applewood bacon, baked at 350 fot bout 45 minutes.......AWESOME GOOD

Latest posts