Fort Campbell 2016

double browtine

Fyi- I heard the biologists put out 500 trail cams. Some are in hunting areas, others are in the cantonment area. This will help them determine some things. I predict earn a buck will be in effect again this year.

The earn a buck could very well be back. The herd counting methods are very flawed and leave a ton of room for error. Since Brad Wheat has not yet completed this years findings, the most recent herd count was estimated at 4500-5500 deer on the entire installation with a doe:buck ratio of 5:1. I do not agree with those assessments and think there are far more deer than estimated. I would be curious to know how he is placing the cameras and how many deer are simply in between the camera locations in the thickest cover up there. I agree with the efforts to have a better herd and stronger trophy caliber hunting. Everyone remembers what a November checkin line looked like years ago!

For the record, I said I agree with effort to improve the hunting/herd. I dont think the earn-a-buck program, would much rather see antler restrictions than provacation of killing "antlerless" button bucks and brood does that raise booner potential fawns. Let's see 15" minimum spread or 4 points on one side as the governing rule and let the herd flourish like it did for years...

There is 64,491 of training areas which are the "hunting areas". The rest of the base is impact ares (off limits) and the actual base itself which is non hunting obviously. Except for special QDMA hunts. Theres no effective way to really gauge the population though due to the entire place having undergrowth and thickets spread all over the place. I believe there are a lot of deer that dont ever have to see or smell humans till hunting season and it may be only for one weekend a year. Think about all the deer that are inhabiting the "in between place and never really have any access to road traffic or a navigatable route to their home range. I'd be interested to know how they executed the trail camera survey.

oldmanelrod

2-Step Enabled
LESSGOVERNMENTMOREFREEDOM":37ve9tlc said:
There is 64,491 of training areas which are the "hunting areas". The rest of the base is impact ares (off limits) and the actual base itself which is non hunting obviously. Except for special QDMA hunts. Theres no effective way to really gauge the population though due to the entire place having undergrowth and thickets spread all over the place. I believe there are a lot of deer that dont ever have to see or smell humans till hunting season and it may be only for one weekend a year. Think about all the deer that are inhabiting the "in between place and never really have any access to road traffic or a navigatable route to their home range. I'd be interested to know how they executed the trail camera survey.
I was stationed at FT Campbell from Nov 07 to March 08. The number of big shooter bucks you would see in the safety zones, around the wash racks, motor pools was something else. I think you are correct there is no ways to get a true count of the heard at FT Campbell.

DeerBandit

What's with all this used to be BS I have hunted the base for 4 seasons and have killed upwards of 25 deer including 4 great bucks scoring from 140 to 160 range. I think people just need to work on their hunting skills and put their time in and just maybe they will get a nice deer. The biologist on post are doing a great job in my opinion. Maybe it was better back in the day but from the deer I've seen scouting this year I think the hunting will be better this year. Yea maybe we wont get to kill the freak in the photos going around but there are a lot of great deer out in areas you can hunt. I've seen at least 8 bucks well over 150 just driving around already. Best of luck to everyone this season I am sure we will kill some beast this year. I think we should focus on things we can change like the pitiful archery range here all the money spent on this place to hunt and that's the best they can do what a joke that is.

Andy S.

LESSGOVERNMENTMOREFREEDOM":176fd8i2 said:
I'd be interested to know how they executed the trail camera survey.
You think? I would be too, especially considering the vast acreage they would have had to survey to get an accurate reading on the population. Without a very detailed census plan and documented results, I would never put much stock in anyone who said they did a camera census on 65k acres, much less that the results were indicative of the real deer population. I think that claim is a stretch to say the least.

Andy S. I am right there with you man. I am getting excited about deer season no doubt, I just hope to be able to get some areas this year again. I have heard skeptical things about the online system and the civilians getting areas. We will see!

Roost 1

DeerBandit":3dhjqhc5 said:
What's with all this used to be BS I have hunted the base for 4 seasons and have killed upwards of 25 deer including 4 great bucks scoring from 140 to 160 range. I think people just need to work on their hunting skills and put their time in and just maybe they will get a nice deer. The biologist on post are doing a great job in my opinion. Maybe it was better back in the day but from the deer I've seen scouting this year I think the hunting will be better this year. Yea maybe we wont get to kill the freak in the photos going around but there are a lot of great deer out in areas you can hunt. I've seen at least 8 bucks well over 150 just driving around already. Best of luck to everyone this season I am sure we will kill some beast this year. I think we should focus on things we can change like the pitiful archery range here all the money spent on this place to hunt and that's the best they can do what a joke that is.

Show them bad boys off... We'd like to see your successes!!!

Mr.Bro

Roost 1":1tq0hmm1 said:
DeerBandit":1tq0hmm1 said:

Show them bad boys off... We'd like to see your successes!!!
X2 Lets see em.

DeerBandit

They are not Boone and Crocket but nice deer for public hunting I think.

Attachments

• 2015.jpg
    2015.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 1,038

Latest posts