For all you osage orange lovers out there:

CHRIS WILSON

Looky what I found!

1208393974-3.jpg

1208393965-1.jpg

1208393971-2.jpg

There are several ways I can come home from work. Which way I take home on any given day depends on my mood and the season. Many of the ways are pretty rural so I can see a bunch of wildlife late in the afternoon. Anyway, this afternoon I decided to take one of the more rural routes in order to get a gander at some turkeys that hang out in a certain area. I come over a hill and I see this crew working in the tree line on this one farm. As I pass by, I notice they're working on clearing part of this tree line and, looking at the tree piles, something caught my eye. I pulled over, got out and struck up a chat with these guys. Turns out they're clearing so they can run some new water lines through the area. I asked what they had planned for the cleared trees and they replied it was going to be stacked and burned. I asked and was given permission to pick through the downed trees and take whatever I wanted. All pieces are at least 68" long with no limbs or visible knots in the bark. The bigger halves I can easily quarter and get a total of four staves from that log. I haven't been down that road in weeks, so it was just shear luck I decided to head home that way today. I'm tickled pink, to say the least. Got the ends sealed up and they're sitting in my garage to cure for a bit.

muskyhunter

CHRIS WILSON said:
Hillbilly Hunter said:
I have all the Osage Orange trees I can stand. You can come cut them all down.
Careful, I'll show up on your door step with a chain saw :grin:

i only live 80 miles from the nearest osage, can i go with you??????

man that is some good growth rings on them.

scn

I thought I would let you guys know of a huge osage tree here in Nashville that I would bet is free for the cutting. It is on the corner of Franklin Rd and Hogan Rd going towards our office. It blew down in a storm back in April. The landscapers have cut most of the limbs off, but the main trunk is still laying in the yard. I estimate it at least 3' across for the bottom log. I suspect the landowners would love to have somebody cut it up and haul it off.

muskyhunter

scn said:
I thought I would let you guys know of a huge osage tree here in Nashville that I would bet is free for the cutting. It is on the corner of Franklin Rd and Hogan Rd going towards our office. It blew down in a storm back in April. The landscapers have cut most of the limbs off, but the main trunk is still laying in the yard. I estimate it at least 3' across for the bottom log. I suspect the landowners would love to have somebody cut it up and haul it off.

i wish i was closer!