TVA Land for Bowhunting

GhillieBow

Hello, this will be my first hunting season and I'm looking for spots to try and get away from the crowd. I'll be bowhunting the whole season. I live in Memphis and Nashville so my public land options will likely get a ton of pressure as the season progresses.

From experience has anyone here had better luck with getting away from the crowd checking out different parcels of TVA land? I'd appreciate any advice or feedback. Either way I'll be getting out there and enjoying the process of just being outdoors.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
I think if you visit these places, you'll quickly get a sense of where the crowds go just from human sign (especially trash; places where the vegetation grows a bit less because a trail has been formed from the traffic). I'd say the trick is trying to find a place where the deer sign and the human sign overlap as little as possible—yes, you may be seeing deer tracks all around trash now during the off-season, but the pressure will shut that down fast once the season begins.

That said, you'll have considerably less competition during archery season than during firearm seasons. Just go to these TVA tracts, find some spots (so you have backup options if someone else beats you to a spot or sets up too close), and hunt.

GhillieBow

Thanks for the reply. I've scouted spots at all the WMA's in Memphis. I'll be heading to Nashville next week to start my new job and I'll be checking scouting land there as well. I just know the WMA's close to any cities will see a ton of pressure as the season progresses.

I been having a great time E-scouting then putting boots on ground and seeing if my guesses are correct. Been seeing heavy sign in spots I marked and even bumped a deer. Can't wait for the season to open. Thanks again!

GhillieBow

You will do ok. There is always pressure on public land but if you get back in deep and in fairly thick stuff the pressure eases considerably.
Thanks. I been logging a fair amount miles on my scouting trips on average. Anywhere from 2-5 miles most of the time. I make my own work schedule too so I plan on hunting during the week so that should help. I'll work on Saturdays when nobody else is in there 🤣

Latest posts