Food Plots Food Plot workshop in Giles County

LanceS4803

Our local paper had an announcement of a UT and TWRA workshop on wildlife food plots.
19 Sep @ 4pm
Clint Borum Farm
185 Beechwood Farm Lane
Pulaski, TN

Dr. Harper will be there to discuss plot establishment and management
Borum, TWRA WIldlife Habitat Biologist, will discuss spray rig calibration and lead a tour of an established plot.

I REALLY want to attend, but the Army will have me those days. :-(

FTG-05

I now plan on going.

I *assume* the class/presentation will be in the big shed at 35.212544° -86.998874° ? GE shows two different locations for that address (never seen that before). That's the biggest building in the area.

FTG-05

There's also forestry class Sat. Sept. 21, starting at 8 AM in eastern Lincoln county/west Franklin county (Elora/Huntland area). Don't have the details, but I'll post them when I get them. This will through the Elk Valley Forestry Association.

FTG-05

Ok, here's the Sat. Sept. 21 Elk River Watershed Initiative Hunting Field Day info:

Sat. Sept. 21, 8 AM (Registration), 9 AM Presentations; 12 PM Lunch and door prizes

Where: Ashley Farm (Peanut Ashley's farm), 444 Indian Creek Drive, Huntland, TN

From the brochure:

Topics cover food plots, forages, browse, cover bedding, deer diseases and managing your forest for wildlife. Opportunities to plant riparian buffers with a $1,700 per acre incentive payment program will also be discussed.

Presentations by farm owner, hunter and sawmill owner Peanut Ashley. Wade Gefellers, Certified Wildlife Biologist on managing forests for deer. Leith Konyndyk, TWRA Game Warden on CWD Update. Alex Richman, TFA on buffer initiative and $1,700/acre incentive.

Bring kids and family!

Activities for kids include Project Learning Tree activities in the creek, blow up archery game, and bass fishing (bring your pole!).

Lunch provided by the EVFA & Tennessee Forestry Association with door prizes!

RSVP for the meal by:
1) Elk Valley Forestry Association Facebook Page
2) Email [email protected] or
3) Call (256) 348-7439

Please provide the number in your party that will be attending, your name and phone number.

I've uploaded the one brochures that I could attach; the system won't let me upload a .pdf file?

FTG-05

It was like drinking from a fire hose. :drool:

Dr. Craig Harper had a one hour presentation on Food Plots that really should have been 2 hours. We got to 1 1/2 hours and they had to cut it short due to having dinner and tours of the farm food plots still to go before dark. He covered Warm Season plots pretty good but then only had 5 minutes for Cool Season plots.

My notes from memory:

Know why you want food plots. "Feed the wildlife" better not be the answer. His point was to have clear objectives so you could measure whether or not you are successful. For example, increasing the Natural Carrying Capacity (NCC) requires us to know what NCC we have now in order to know whether we've improved or not.

"Cheap" food plot strategies are not nearly as successful as doing it right. Doing it right means soil tests, soil amendments, Pure Seed Analysis (measures actual seed dispersal rates) and not throwing mixtures that don't mix well (e.g. one plant shields another).

He spent some time on the no drill, no till method including Burn, Throw and Mow and burning prior to throwing. This works well for small seeds but not large ones like soybeans and corn, which need to be covered by an 1" or so of dirt.

He said there are studies showing the food preferences for deer and he shared them with us.

Soybeans were his #1 single favorite food and gave a bunch of reasons why. A mixture of 15# Crimson Clover, 10# Arrowleaf Clover and 40# Awnless Wheat was his favorite mix., and also gave his reasons why. He said of the five cereals (Oats, Rye Cereal, Trich-something, Wheat and Barley) the first four were very close in deer preference with Oats a clear winner while Barley was a distant (and useless 5th). His favorite cereal was Wheat. (and he gave his reasons why).

By that time, we had to break for dinner and the tour and he barely touched on cool Season food plots. :(

They had a TWRA/TFA/Quail Unlimited food plot brochure for $10 and a extremely detailed PhD-level 487 pages glossy pics and all for $50. I have asked Clint how more can be bought by people who were not able to attend.

Note that the above information is representative of both my memory and what I thought I heard. Any errors in the info are mine alone, not Dr. Harper's.

LanceS4803

Thanks for the run down. MUCH appreciated.
And it was right in my own county, and I couldn't go. Very frustrating.

Please follow up on on how we can get the brochure and booklet.

FTG-05

I remembered a couple other things:

Food plot location: don't put them near roads. He says every time a car goes by they'll get up and run off. If they don't, they'll at least be a lot more wary and cautions.

Don't forget the "forgotten" or small unused spaces. These are little corners of your property that wouldn't think of for a food plot, but adding them might make a big addition to your total food plot acreage.

LanceS4803

FTG-05":22b1p7al said:
Food plot location: don't put them near roads. He says every time a car goes by they'll get up and run off. If they don't, they'll at least be a lot more wary and cautions.

Plus, you don't need to advertise what you may going on at your property.
I have enough trouble with people slowing down to look at deer, some even just stop on the road. Just a matter of time before someone fires off a shot.

FTG-05

LanceS4803":3a4omgf2 said:
FTG-05":3a4omgf2 said:

Plus, you don't need to advertise what you may going on at your property.
I have enough trouble with people slowing down to look at deer, some even just stop on the road. Just a matter of time before someone fires off a shot.

He specifically talked about the "road Hunters". :bash:

Latest posts