Food Plots Food Plot Help (1st Timer)

DoubleRidge

I'm going to hand seed all of it (bag spreader) so I'll make sure to do that. Good for the soul to walk around on our dirt....dreaming of bucks.

Appreciate the information and tips.

🤞 I'll have some pics to post when fall hits
Agree....working on food plots and various other habitat projects can be very rewarding...good luck...and enjoy the process.

348Winchester

Check out Merit Seed in Ohio. They have a clover blend consisting of crimson, berseem, and balansa. They call it the "Essential Clover Blend". In my rye plots, I plant this and it does very well. I mow the plot in late May or early June. The rye stalks will eventually melt into the clover and create a nice stand. The berseem and balansa clovers last well into summer and extend the life of the plot. In early August I mow the plot again. This time I mow it very close to the ground. Then over seed buckwheat directly into the short cut and dying clover. The buckwheat grows quickly and offers deer a nice, young, tender source of food when most other plants are becoming less palatable. Then when the buckwheat goes to seed I sow the cereal rye and clover mix into the standing buckwheat and mow it again. Much of the buckwheat will sprout again but the first frost will kill it. If your rye is a little thin you can over seed it again at this time. Here on the northern plateau I have seeded rye as late as mid-November. This has been my basic food plot scheme for over twenty years. It works very well. You can frost seed red and white clovers and chicory into it in late February if you like. I often do. That will help fill in any bare spots or thin areas for the upcoming warm season. Always remember to lime the plots heavily the first year and moderately after that.

BSK

Check out Merit Seed in Ohio. They have a clover blend consisting of crimson, berseem, and balansa. They call it the "Essential Clover Blend". In my rye plots, I plant this and it does very well. I mow the plot in late May or early June. The rye stalks will eventually melt into the clover and create a nice stand. The berseem and balansa clovers last well into summer and extend the life of the plot. In early August I mow the plot again. This time I mow it very close to the ground. Then over seed buckwheat directly into the short cut and dying clover. The buckwheat grows quickly and offers deer a nice, young, tender source of food when most other plants are becoming less palatable. Then when the buckwheat goes to seed I sow the cereal rye and clover mix into the standing buckwheat and mow it again. Much of the buckwheat will sprout again but the first frost will kill it. If your rye is a little thin you can over seed it again at this time. Here on the northern plateau I have seeded rye as late as mid-November. This has been my basic food plot scheme for over twenty years. It works very well. You can frost seed red and white clovers and chicory into it in late February if you like. I often do. That will help fill in any bare spots or thin areas for the upcoming warm season. Always remember to lime the plots heavily the first year and moderately after that.
Very cool system!

348Winchester

Very cool system!
Thanks! It works very well. Only once did it fail during a horrible drought but I was able to coax some meager growth by seeding cereal rye in early November. It grew and was something green for the deer to eat.

I've used the buckwheat in the years where the clover was fading more than average. That time of year, Aug-Sep, it seems to be a bit of candy for the herd.

BSK

Thanks! It works very well. Only once did it fail during a horrible drought but I was able to coax some meager growth by seeding cereal rye in early November. It grew and was something green for the deer to eat.

I've used the buckwheat in the years where the clover was fading more than average. That time of year, Aug-Sep, it seems to be a bit of candy for the herd.
I don't know what it is about Buckwheat, but it sees very different seasonal usage in my area. Deer eat it in summer, but not like it's candy. However, in a fall planting - and I always add it to my fall mix - deer go crazy over it. Don't know why the difference.

Latest posts