Food Plots Food Plot Budget?

xatxay

Gentlemen, I've got $250 budgeted for plots. Bush hogging has been done & I have plenty of Gly 4 to spray.
I have three places I'd like to plant ( #1-.5 acre, #2- 1 acre & #3 is very large. I'll only plant about an acre of #3. All are rough pasture. No soil test done yet but will pull samples this weekend.
How would you allocate your $ ? Seed, Fert, lime ?
Would you try to hire tractor help for tilling or would you throw and go?

fins&fur

brother...you'll have more than that in lime and fert on 2.5 acres..if that's your budget..do the .5 acre plot this year..do it right..and save for the others this spring..jmo

DaveB

Throw & Grow is a lot of annual rye grass and IMO a waste of money and time.

You need clover and radishes and a few others.

I don't see how you can do even the smallest plot without some mechanical help-a tractor, yeah, sounds good. Take a stroll through the (thread) sunflower plot prep ChaneyLake does, and there are a lot of other examples. There is a general set of steps to follow based on your soil and area conditions.

I'd lime the place then turn the soil and plant a really thick overseeded clover variety to try and choke the weeds out. You have very very little time left for this year its almost fall

Hunter 257W

I've always liked Whitetail Institutes "No Plow" and since you are on a tight budget and would have to borrow a tractor to work your ground, their "No Plow" makes sense. You just have to have exposure to bare dirt and it can tolerate a fairly low Ph too.

I think the mix consists of ryegrass, oats, wheat(?), annual clover, brassica, radishes and lettuce. They recommend 300-400lbs of 13-13-13 per acre. Honestly, you can get by with 200 and have good results.

348Winchester

Put at least 1000 lbs of lime on the smallest plot. Disc the hell out of it. Broadcast 75 lbs of grain rye just before a rain. Put down about 50 lbs of 19-19-19 at planting. After a couple of weeks put another 25 lbs of rye on the thin/bald areas and another 50 lbs of 19-19-19.

That small plot done right will be better than half-assing any of the others.

Latest posts