follow up re ? on dove fields

Lucky

Several weeks ago I posted a question regarding millet and its ability to resist drought. I now have the answer. IT DOES NOT RESIST. I went over our fields on the 4th and it is a total loss and the sunflowers are pitiful too. Hope you guys have better luck with the dove fields you planned. I have one more trick but I am no longer hopeful. This is the worst dry spell in my life. Good luck guys

rack'em up

ours aint but a 1/4 acre but we got ous in late.so it kinda missed the dry spell.the sun flowers are bout 4 inches.do you think they will be up by september?

Lucky

rack'em up said:
ours aint but a 1/4 acre but we got ous in late.so it kinda missed the dry spell.the sun flowers are bout 4 inches.do you think they will be up by september?

Rack'em up: I hate to say it but I doubt you get a good stand of sunflowers by opening day. We usually try to have a good stand about 2 weeks before the season so we can mow sections over the time leading up to the hunt. Sunflowers keep the birds for a good time and that includes after good hard rains. Usually the flower has to be open for quite a while to let the heads dry a little to get a good response from the birds (but not too long because the finches will swarm like bees and pick the seeds out of the head before you can get them on clear ground where doves like it the best) You might get a late season hunt off that field. I dont know. Good luck. We are now seeing some sunflowers after the altest round of rain. Ours are up to about 18 inches with no flower. There is some pitiful millet with seed on it. We will try to bail the millet and then drill wheat over the course of about 3 days and I hope that works. By the way, what type of sunflower did you plant?

rack'em up

we have 3 rows of them and indian corn bordering a food plot with winter wheat and some other things.im not sure of the type.the guy down the road has two rows every year and the doves are all over them.so i stoped and asked if i could get one of the heads and he let me have one.but good luck to you too.

Latest posts