Fly fishing smallies

MickThompson

woodyard":f3nntgi4 said:
Anybody do any small mouth fishing with the fly rod? If so what is your go to fly.

I only fly fish them in smaller rivers so read with this in mind.

Fly depends on the time on the year. I've started as early as March before but you are fishing for 1-2 bites that time of year. They are usually good ones though. I'm dragging bottom with a clouser or some other heavy fly.

As you come through spring into summer, move up the water column. I prefer surface flies from May on if I can get them to eat. Otherwise I'm using weightless streamers and fishing them aggressively like a fluke.

Smallmouth aren't picky like trout but I have certain flies and colors I have more confidence in. The fly doesn't need to be a perfect replica of a particular food but needs to look, sound, and move like something a smallmouth might eat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buzzard Breath

Sparkle Minnows in olive or orange/brown for deep. Unweighted EP streamers for not deep, usually all white or white/chartreuse. Yellow or black top water poppers and divers.

Trout magnets also do a good job of catching them and are easy to cast on a fly rod.

My "go to" fly would be the EP streamer. I usually tie it on to start and adjust from there.

062342f3d9df6f615957a7d4e46cc117.jpg
58a4a131efb12bb15c3080e93896abac.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

WTM

MickThompson":1nw4yvwf said:
Or whites in March?

yeah if you could find a place shallow enough, all the places on KY lake and TN river that i know, they are hugging the ledge, drops, etc during that time and most is about 20ft deep. would you have to use a sink tip or full sinking line to get that deep? i just started this fly fishing stuff last year and still kind of ignant about what you can and cant do and what to use with what.

i imagine if one got into some jumps in the summer then a standard WF line and a clouser minnow would work?

MickThompson

I used to catch them on the river below Cheatham Dam against the banks in February and March with spin gear. A clouser would be my first choice in a situation like this.

I'm far from a fly purist- I rarely use my fly rod on waters I can't easily wade because it becomes pretty inefficient on big, deep water.

Setterman

Pretty much all I do these days, and been chasing them with flies for nearly 30 years . Happy to help shoot me a PM and I'll give you more info then you'd ever want.

Latest posts