Florida Weave for tomato support

catman529

I used this method last year. Mine was set up with 2 plants between stakes, with 6 foot T-posts on the ends of the rows, angled away slightly, 1 foot into the ground, and tied down, for extra support. Then I just had to weave string around the plants as they grew. Worked pretty darn well for me, but make sure those steaks are as solid in the ground as possible. I grew some giant plants such as Sungold which outgrew the steaks easily. Let them sprawl over the top when they reach that height.

http://www.foogod.com/~torquill/barefoot/weave.html

Definitely give it a go if you've had problems with your tomatoes outgrowing those cheap cages you buy in the garden center. Only the determinate (bush-type) tomatoes do well in the cheap cages. Most other varieties, the indeterminate (vine-types), will grow well over 6 feet long if they are healthy. Mine get all tangled up by the end of the season but the stems probably reach over 10 feet long.

Poor redneck

For my cukes I use bamboo and build sort of a tepee trellace if that makes any since. and for my toms. I use bamboo and some twine and make kind of a tepee. I don't know how to do pictures on this so I can't provide those. looks like something that would come off of Jeff Poppen's farm.

IceMann

catman529 said:
I used this method last year. Mine was set up with 2 plants between stakes, with 6 foot T-posts on the ends of the rows, angled away slightly, 1 foot into the ground, and tied down, for extra support. Then I just had to weave string around the plants as they grew. Worked pretty darn well for me, but make sure those steaks are as solid in the ground as possible. I grew some giant plants such as Sungold which outgrew the steaks easily. Let them sprawl over the top when they reach that height.

Save your self some time ,money and a lot of work..get a roll of concrete wire,cut it into 5 foot pieces and make a cage,they will last forever,had mine since since 1988,will hold even the biggest mater plants,easy to harvest,and when seasons over just take up and store for next year..
They also work great for cukes..

catman529

Yes, the concrete wire cages would be my second option, but since last year I had access to some 6' stakes at the church community garden it saved a lot of money to do the florida weave and it worked great for me. The CRW cages would be great if I decide some time to buy a roll of the wire.

Mike Belt

I used 5' 2 X 4 wire and made 1 1/2 diameter circles. I hog ringed the ends together and cut out 4 alternating squares for sticking your hand through to pick tomatoes. Make sure you ducktape the ends where you cut out the openings or you're going to get cut.

Latest posts