fletching question

Locksley

hunter82 said:
i am wantin to start usin feathers instead of vanes this year and was wondering what is the best feather to use,and since i shoot right handed should i use right wing left wing or what.i have shot bows for about 9 or 10 years now and have never experimented any at all with feathers,so i havent got a clue about them. thanks for any help.
f1maxis said:
Gateway or TrueFlight, both are good feathers. You'll want to use right wing, and for hunting with a fixed-blade head, a minimum of 4".
Toxophilite Phil said:
Trueflight is the best feather on the market period. Most pro shops don't carry them because they do cost more. Right wing or left wing doesn't matter. You have to use whichever jig you have. In my experience, left wing fletching clears most rest better thus easier to get better flight. If you are shooting a biscuit then I really can't offer any advise but I am sure Radar can help you out with that.
Radar said:
Most hunters use right wing feathers and they seem to be more readily available than left wing in the proshops I visit . I use a Right wing clamp , so I use Right wing feathers .
It really doesn't make much difference , just as long as you fletch all arrows the same .

Here are some Gateway feathers . I also use Truflight , and like them a little better because the quill is a little thinner and they lay better on the shaft than my Gateway feathers do .
DSCF4061.jpg
backstraps said:
Advise above on feathers above is good advise to follow.

RW feathers, RW clamp is the majority of what people use.

If you want to cut your own feathers (especially now=turkey seson) I have a new RIGHT wing cutter, and a LEFT wing cutter. I am not suing them anymore, will sell cheap!
Great fun snipping your own feathers!

If you are shooting a biscuit...then I wouldnt recommend using feathers... I would change over to a dropaway, or at least a prong type (TM Hunter) or something to keep the feathers from touching anything when released.

Here are some Turkey feathers we snipped playing aroung:
turkeyfletchedXT001.jpg

turkeyfletchedXT002.jpg

turkeyfletchedXT003.jpg
f1maxis said:
I probably should have clarified myself a little better in my previous post.

As a general rule, most archers shoot a right wing feather / right helical vane simply because it will rotate the arrow clockwise, therefore "tightening" the arrow against the fp/broadhead and for the simple fact that rw are more readily available. It used to be told that RH archers need to shoot right wing and LH archers need to shoot left wing, with modern compound bows it really doesn't matter as the arrow doesn't start to rotate until it leaves the bow anyway.

Visit just about any pro shop and you will find that normal stock will be Gateway feathers in right wing. You simply don't see near as many archers shooting lw as you do rw.

Trueflight feathers do have a bit more consistent base although I shot both for years and have no complaints with either.
Locksley said:
Radar said:
Most hunters use right wing feathers and they seem to be more readily available than left wing in the proshops I visit . I use a Right wing clamp , so I use Right wing feathers .
It really doesn't make much difference , just as long as you fletch all arrows the same .

Here are some Gateway feathers . I also use Truflight , and like them a little better because the quill is a little thinner and they lay better on the shaft than my Gateway feathers do .
DSCF4061.jpg

Dang Radar those are good looking arrows. I would even try some like that on my recurve.
Locksley
Locksley said:
f1maxis said:
I probably should have clarified myself a little better in my previous post.

As a general rule, most archers shoot a right wing feather / right helical vane simply because it will rotate the arrow clockwise, therefore "tightening" the arrow against the fp/broadhead and for the simple fact that rw are more readily available. It used to be told that RH archers need to shoot right wing and LH archers need to shoot left wing, with modern compound bows it really doesn't matter as the arrow doesn't start to rotate until it leaves the bow anyway.

Visit just about any pro shop and you will find that normal stock will be Gateway feathers in right wing. You simply don't see near as many archers shooting lw as you do rw.

Trueflight feathers do have a bit more consistent base although I shot both for years and have no complaints with either.

For recurves the old rules still apply. It used to be told that RH archers need to shoot right wing and LH archers need to shoot left wing , archers shoot a right wing feather / right helical vane simply because it will rotate the arrow clockwise.
backstraps those are nice arrows too they meet my approval for recurves .
Locksley

Locksley

http://www.tndeer.com/tndeertalk/ubbthr ... Post681812

Latest posts