Bow tuning question

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
I'm getting back into bow hunting after being out of the game for a few years. I bought my dad's Bowtech Assassin, set at 55lb, mounted a QAD hunter drop away, and am shooting Goldtip Hunters with 100gr tips. Local bow shop set it up and paper tuned it with field tips.

I've been shooting it for a couple months with field tips, but tried the Slick Trick Magnum 100gr today and they shot about 4" left of the field tips at 25yd. I started making small lateral adjustments to the QAD rest and have gotten it to within 1.5-2"at 25yd and 3-3.5" at 35yd, but am running out of room before hitting the side of the shelf/riser with my fletchings.

Thoughts or suggestions? Should I just shoot it with field tips until season and then change the sights for broadheads?

Grill-n-man

Couple things -
May have to yoke tune it a little
Double check the fletchings to rest contact as this can be more pronounced with fixed blades
Could be your setup doesn't like those particular heads
Or simply just adjust sights
Your chocolate chip cookie fletch should be up, you can try rotating the nock right or left a little just in case its clipping a fletch when leaving the bow

If the broad heads group good at same point of impact adjusting the sights is the simplest. Also the orientation of blades to fletchings can ( although not happens often ) affect flight. Go to Potters Ace and get a pack of I believe #36 o rings and put one on the broad head before screwing it on. You can play with blade orientation with out removing insert and the gluing it back in. Also the o ring keeps the broad head from locking down on the shaft when you shoot it or coming loose.

Grill-n-man

Forgot,, if it doesn't have split buss cable to yoke tune ( can't remember on that one) then may have to play with shims on the camshaft or a bushing may be worn little causing some can lean or erratic can rotation.

Pinwheeled

Broadheads hitting left means you'll have a slight tail right tear through paper. If you shoot a bare shaft out of it, they will like impact left also. To fix that, you would move the rest to the left or away from the riser for a right handed shooter. I know that is counter intuitive but trust me.

If that doesn't fix it, it's most likely your grip. It could also be a spine issue or fletching contact but I would say that is less likely.

What length and spine are your arrows?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts