Fishin was hot as a firecracker over the weekend

mossyhorns300

Started the weekend at Glenn Springs on Thurs and ended it at Pickwick for the weekend. Thursday, I only caught 3 fish, but no real size. One about 3 lbs and the others about 2 a piece on T-rigged worms. Went to the in-laws this weekend and took the boat and fished Pickwick and had a ball, til the party-goers ran us off the water! Finally caught a smallie and a decent one at that! I've only caught one other one in my life and it was like 12-13 inches. This joker was 19.5 inches, but skinny. Only weighed like 3.3 lbs. Caught this fish on an 1/8 oz. shaky head worm in junebug color on a rocky point where it entered a little cut and had some chunk rock blend into pea gravel. Talk about some acrobatic little suckers! I've never had a fish jump and tail walk across the water like smallies do. I'm hooked, I tell ya. That 3 lb. smallie fought just as hard as any 5-6 lb. Largemouth I've ever caught. Talk about fun on a spinning rod with 8 lb. test. Anyhow, we caught a ton of bass on Crankbaits in yellow creek as well as baby brush hogs down near the mouth of the Tombigbee. Caught a 4.5 lb Largemouth, but wouldn't you know the camera batteries went dead. I managed a few pics of the smallie before the batteries died.

Julyfish08006.jpg

PickwicksmallieJuly08.jpg

Julyfish08008-1.jpg

mossyhorns300

Sounds about like Pickwick! We tried to night fish and got ran off the water at 9:00 p.m. with a hefty T-storm. We put back in in at 5:00 a.m. and was outta there by 10 when the party people came out. I like throwin towards jetskiers, that have no courtesy at all, with DD22's and C-rigs!

username

Congrats man.

If you really want to get into some fun, go down to Pickwick and slow roll a 3/4-1oz colorado spinnerbait at night right now. Good way to get your arm broke. There is nothing in my opinion that compares to a big smallmouth spinnerbait strike.

mossyhorns300

Thanks username. I'll hafta try it. Never really fished strictly for smallies at all. Heck, I'm still gettin used to the rocky nature of Pickwick. I'm used to lots of hydrilla and tons of standing timber everywhere. I love the lake, just wished I knew more about fishing for smallies and what to look for, and I wished I knew the lake alot better than I do.

username

I wish I could figure smallies out too. Most of the lakes I fish have a decent population but I rarely catch over one or two. I'm usually targeting largemouth and hit one on a jig or crankbait during the day. I've caught several on a Carolina rigged lizard or creature type bait too but they are few and far between. I catch way more at night during this time of year than I do all year stroking a jig or slow rolling a big Ledgebuster type spinner bait. They are generally 3lb+ fish too. Loads of fun right there. They'll straighten a spinnerbait out in a heartbeat. It seems that since the grass is coming on stronger on KY Lake that I catch fewer smallmouth but the largemouth are absolutely dynamite.

mossyhorns300

username said:
I wish I could figure smallies out too. Most of the lakes I fish have a decent population but I rarely catch over one or two. I'm usually targeting largemouth and hit one on a jig or crankbait during the day. I've caught several on a Carolina rigged lizard or creature type bait too but they are few and far between. I catch way more at night during this time of year than I do all year stroking a jig or slow rolling a big Ledgebuster type spinner bait. They are generally 3lb+ fish too. Loads of fun right there. They'll straighten a spinnerbait out in a heartbeat. It seems that since the grass is coming on stronger on KY Lake that I catch fewer smallmouth but the largemouth are absolutely dynamite.

Sounds about identical to my situation. I've caught a couple before on c-rigs and crankbaits, just fishing. I wasn't targeting smallmouth, but I happened to catch this one on a shaky head which I knew I was capable of landing a smallie by using that. I've noticed more grass on Pickwick also. I will definately try the spinnerbait tactic here soon. Our bass club is fishing our July tourny at Pickwick on July 19th and it's a night tourny. We fish from 9 a.m. til 6 a.m.