First Elk hunt!

ghosthunter

I'll be heading out to Colorado August 29th to the Grand Mesa National forest for my first elk hunt ever. This is something I've been dying to do for years and never could get anyone interested in going with me. Well, now it's happened. I'm going with someone who has the same desire as I do and he was successful with a guide out there last year. That was his first hunt.

This will be a diy hunt. The plan is to backpack into some tough to get to semi wilderness (non-motorized) location.

We will be there til around September 8th / 9th.

If anyone has any information/tips I would absolutely appreciate it.

Buzzard Breath

Good luck and lets see some pictures on your return.

I'll be leaving just a couple days after you get back. My pile of stuff just keeps getting bigger and bigger.

IMAG0089.jpg

ghosthunter

It's a Katadyn. Same kind that Buzz has in his photo of equipment. They work pretty good. I got use to during turkey season.

Yes there is lot's of water where we'll be.

trealtree

ghosthunter said:
It's a Katadyn. Same kind that Buzz has in his photo of equipment. They work pretty good. I got use to during turkey season.

Yes there is lot's of water where we'll be.

Neat. I am planning for 2013. just getting ideas

Buzzard Breath

ghosthunter said:
It's a Katadyn....
My Katadyn has filter hundreds of gallons of water and has worked flawlessly. I also keep a bottle of Pottable Aqua tabs in my first aid kit, just in case, but have never used it. One of these days I'm going to get a Sawyer Gravity Filter for base camp. But, at the same time, I want a lighter sleeping bag, a lighter tent, better stove, etc......Just can't justify buying everything I want.

Buzzard Breath

I wasn't much of a photographer a decade or so ago, but here's a few pics from my first trip. Unit 44 or 444. It was OTC back then.
IMAG0098.jpg

IMAG0100.jpg

IMAG0101.jpg

IMAG0097-1.jpg

ghosthunter

Thanks for sharing the photos. Have you been successful at harvesting an elk out there?

I'm not planning on this being my last trip. I went ahead and purchased good lite weight stuff this time around.

I haven't purchased a taditional backpacking stove. I'm using an alcohol stove by white box. At first I thought no way, but the sucker has turned out to be awesome, though I haven't acutally used it in an outside environment with cooler temperatures and wind.

Guess I'll need to throw in some tablets just in case as well.

TNRAMBLINGMAN

This is killing me. I went last year and got a small 5x5 but don't think I can get away from work this year. Plus I have always wanted to hunt and see the Grand Mesa area. Best of luck to you. Should be a great trip.

ghosthunter

tickweed said:
this is my 14th time for Elk in Colorado.
Is there anything that you've learned over the years that will help make my learning pains a little less? Ex: How to get the meat out? Calling? Food sources? Something that you never thought about at home until you got out there, etc.?

tickweed

I remember my first time, 1993. A dream come true for a country boy from west Tn. First of all, if you are driving, its a LONG trip. The ride out is always exciting, the ride home is twice as long, cause you are worn out. When you first get into the mountains, take it easy for the first day or two. The elevation is going to take some getting used to.
If you jump out of the truck at 9000 ft., and start running around, you'll get sick quick, so remember,take it easy. Every trip I have took has been a diy trip. I've took eight bulls in thirteen trips, and helped pack out another dozen at least. All where quartered, and packed out on our packframes, except one year I got a guy from Missouri to pack one out on a mule. Elk are big animals, and it will be warm when you are there. Tons of black flys and yellowjackets will cover the meat. At that time of year, when you do take an Elk, you will have to get him out and down to town to a meat locker quick. I hunt on public land, eight miles in by one trail that is open to 4wheelers, set up camp, then hike into a very rough canyon,three miles, straight down. Take several sharp knives,knife sharpner, rope,meat bags, plenty of black pepper to cover the meat against flies with. If planning on packing meat, you need a good frame for your backpack. As for clothes, what you use here will be fine. I like a pair of leather boots, one pair rubber boots.Good rain suit. I only cow call, elk may be bugling when you are going, but it may be a little early. Elk are very noisey. Sound doesnt bother them, they have average eyes, nose is very good. Find high vantage points, glass early, late. The elk will be moving up early, because of the heat, moving again late. Listen for cows calling. Find wallows, water holes. Dont be afraid to walk. Taking an average bull can be done , with a little luck. I dont have enough space to type everything I would like to tell you, but if you neede more info, pm me, we can talk. I wish you the best, and good luck.

Buzzard Breath

tickweed has some great advise. Especially the get acclimated slowly part. This year, we'll be staying a night in Denver (5,500 ft?), then staying a night at the trailhead (9,000 ft), then hiking in the next day.

Here's a few items you will want to take.

Chapstick - the air is very dry. I forgot it once, and I now take a tube in my pocket and another tube in my pack. I was miserable because I didn't have a simple 99 cent tube of it

Wet-wipes - no explanation needed

Contractor garbage bag - tons of uses

You should be fine with an alcohol stove. I've used one around here in the past and it will work fine if all you're doing is boiling water. I quit using it and switched to an esbit stove, just because I didn't like fooling around with a liquid in the dark when I was cold, tired and hungry.

Latest posts