First Colorado Hunt

dylandylan563

So I'm heading out to Pagosa Springs this October, on my first ever elk hunt. I've pretty much only hunted white tail, and on my family's property, so planning what to pack, gear wise, has been kind of a daunting operation. I was wondering if any of you had advice...any items you've found to be most helpful during a week long camp? Thanks!

gtk

Staff member
Guided hunt or do it yourself ? Which season? I will be just west of you towards durango, during the 2nd rifle season. Best of luck, you will probably be hooked for life :) Just don't hunt so hard that you forget to enjoy the scenery ! Out there, the kill is just icing on the cake.. The real reward is being able to enjoy the mountains.

I can't help on "what to take", because we usually stay in a hotel :)

dylandylan563

gtk":1ad78p0i said:
Guided hunt or do it yourself ? Which season? I will be just west of you towards durango, during the 2nd rifle season. Best of luck, you will probably be hooked for life :) Just don't hunt so hard that you forget to enjoy the scenery ! Out there, the kill is just icing on the cake.. The real reward is being able to enjoy the mountains.

I can't help on "what to take", because we usually stay in a hotel :)

My brother and I will be going out...no guide. He's been going for a few years now, so much of my list is from him. It's a 2nd season hunt too. Couldn't agree more, even if I come back with an empty cooler, I know it will be an amazing trip.

bloodtrailing

You need to do a dry run weekend or longer camping trip near home. You can get in a bad situation quick in Co if you are not ready.

dylandylan563

Yeah. I've been hiking with my pack on with 25 lbs of rice in it, and doing some cardio in addition to that. The dry run sounds like a good idea.

TNRifleman

Hopefully this list will help a little bit. I have done two public land, self guided hunts that were out of a base camp. Like bloodtrialing said, things can change quickly. My first year, it was 56 degrees the afternoon we got into camp. We woke up the next morning to 8" of snow. Feel free to ask or PM me any other questions.

Sleeping Bag
Thermarest
Camp pillow
camp chairs
chain saw
axe
shovel
Farm Jack
game bags
trash bags
Yeti Coolers
Lighter Fluid
Fat Wood
Flash Lights
Head Lamp
Batteries
Elk Calls
Scent Killer
Video Camera
GPS
GPS Watch
Radios
Solar Panel
Charging Cables
Camera
Binoculars
Pistol
Gun cleaning kit
Boots 2 Pair
Camp shoes
Rifle
Ammo
Backup Rifle
Ammo
knives
Pack with meat shelf
day size back pack
fire starter
lifestraw water filter
Shooting Stick
Rope
Para Cord
Mountain House meals
Jet Boil
Water
Food/Snacks/Fruit
Leather gloves
First Lite Merino baselayers
Rain Gear
Wool socks
Underwear - wool
Insulating layers
Pants - Kuiu/First Lite
Jackets - Kuiu/First Lite
Jeans
Hats
Gloves
Scent Free wet wipes
Towels
Rubber Gloves
Personal items

'borohunter

One item you may consider that won't likely be on anyone's list - something to keep the mice away. They can keep you up at night!! Hunted 4 times thus far out there and had mice issues every time. Especially if camping in treed area... Any exercise for legs and lungs.

Latest posts