Smokeless First build this year

Smokeless

jlanecr500

I've been sitting on 2 40Cal Rock Creek 15 twist barrels all summer. I got a wild hair and made it a 22" bbl on a Savage Target Action in an HS Precision stock for simplicity. At the present it has a Vortex Viper 4-16x44 HSLR scope. It sports LRMP ignition system using Aluminum Nickel Bronze (630 Bronze) modules in a plug I made that does not use a ventliner or bushing, It is very close to the Direct Ignition system but more user friendly. The plan is to shoot a .402 smooth formed 300gr Pittman Accumax bullet with IMR4166 around 2700fps and a barrel time of 1.1ms.

jlanecr500

Andy S.":3fd0rwxu said:
Sweet rig, what does that total setup weigh?

Forgot to add that it is kinda porky at 11 pounds. The contour is 1.16" for 5" and straight taper to .9" at 22".

Being short makes it feel lighter and more mobile.

jlanecr500

I did a short range session yesterday. Fired 2 shots getting zeroed and a 3 shot group. I ran this load in Quick Load so I didn't do any load development. 83gr IMR4166 under a 300gr Pittman Accumax and a dry wool wad yielded a .615"group at 120 yards with a velocity of 2760fps and ES of 5. I built this one without a brake because I don't like wearing hearing protection while hunting and a funnel is required for loading powder thru the brake. The scope has close to 4" of eye relief and you gotta use it all due to recoil that will flat get your attention.

Matador

That recoil may get your attention, but I love the group you got after just two sight in shots. Looking forward to seeing some more test and a actual field performance on deer.

Latest posts