Field-judging buck age examples

BSK

Outbackcx said:
How can you post this? Have I not seen you post that 2.5 year olds are mature? According to this thye are not. Stand somewhere.

No outbackcx, you have not seen me post that 2 1/2 year-old bucks are mature. Older bucks yes, but mature no. Mature bucks are bucks 4 1/2+ years old.

Bryan,
I did not take the tiem to read all of the posts on this thread, so it may have already been brought up.

I think the statement which suggests that field scoring bucks is more of an art, than science, is MOST accurate. I would also add that it is an ACQUIRED skill. Difficult at best and almost ALWAYS arguable amoung veteran hunters, especially while in the field.

But looking at your pics, I must say that while most are excellent examples of age, EVERY single one of them can depict different age calss bucks, depending on the geographic location of the deer. I'm sure you mean this as a "guideline". That it is. But a 2.5 year old rutting buck living up North looks distinctly different than a 2.5 year old in Hamilton County.

Like you said, it is more art, than science.

What say you?

1-2

BSK

The examples posted are specifically Tennessee bucks, and were intended to be examples for field-judging age in Tennessee. Without question, the "rules" for field-judging age are geographic, in that body conformation by age-class is different in different geographic locations, and the biggest differences are North versus South. The virginianus borealis northern sub-species put on far more body mass at an earlier age than the southern virginianus virginianus sub-species. In addition, TN is more MidSouth than South. Our bucks are sort of a cross between Northern and Deep South bucks. Deep South bucks often look a year younger than MidSouth bucks of the same age. I've also found that TX bucks look a year younger than TN bucks of the same age.

And by the way, other than the yearling bucks, most of the bucks in the example photographs were actually harvested by hunters, so their toothwear age is known.

But you're also correct that field-judging age is far more "art" than "science" and takes a lot of experience to be good at. I've been honing my skills for over a decade, yet I still only get 81% of them "right" (and by "right," I mean my estimated age matches the toothwear age).

Very Good BSK. I generally do well myself in my home state. I also tend to do better during early to mid bow season when bucks are in bachelor groups. Obvious size differences along with distinct social behavior (pecking order) makes it much more easy (i.e. side by side comps.). I still do o-k in Tn. rut until about age 4.5. Then, I give up!!!

Up North, during the rut...forget it. Past 1.5 year old is a blurr for me.

AlanP

Wes Parrish said:
BECAUSE of antler restrictions, the best antlered 2 1/2-yr-old bucks are killed at a higher rate on President's Island WMA than they would be killed if there were no antler restrictions at all.

Wes,

I do not believe the data supports your contention. If you look at the age data for President's Island, (from the big buck hunts) I don't think you can make a case that the best antlered bucks are killed out at 2 1/2.

Age.....2 1/2.....3 1/2.....4 1/2....5 1/2+

Year

Out of 60 bucks taken on the big buck hunts, only five have been 2 1/2 years old.

Wes Parrish said:
And even those places where the majority of yearling bucks are fork-horns or smaller, if they use antler restrictions, BECAUSE of those antler restrictions, the best antlered younger bucks will be killed at a higher rate --- leaving fewer of the best to reach the older age classes.

Again... Not at President's Island. Every yearling buck killed has been a spike. The 9-point rule has protected ALL branch-antlered yearlings. So far, the yearling harvests, on the spike buck hunts, have been:

......Yearling Spikes

I won't speak for Catoosa, because I do not look closely enough at Catoosa's data.

TN RDG RNR

Good Post BSK and enjoyed your presentation at the Vous too. Seems obivious and simple as you point out the things to look for on the slides and looking at pics Id say my accuracy is around 50/50 but in the woods looking down at a buck close range its sometimes hard for me to remember to knock and arrow much less what all to look for in distinguishing the different age classes..

If there was just 1 thing you could see to make a quick visual judgement call on the age of a buck what would it be and how would the different age classes appear.

BSK

TN RIDG RNR,

The neck. Neck size is the fastest and most accurate single body characteristic for judging age.

Latest posts