Field-judging buck age examples

TheLBLman

baller_9 said:
Wes...I'm not disagreeing with you but what makes you think that antler restrictions cause the best 2 1/2 antlered bucks to be killed at a higher rate? And that these areas would have more superior bucks without the restrictions?

If there is not an antler restriction in some of the WMA's than many hunters would be happy with any buck that came by. With it being on public land hunters are going to be a lot more trigger happy knowing that there might be a another hunter on the next ridge.

In my opinion without the antler restrictions there wouldn't be so many of the top end 2 1/2 yr old bucks and than the few that go on to 3 1/2 plus. I do not believe it would ever be a good idea to have a statewide restriction. However, in my opinion I believe that the restrictions on WMA's are a great asset and allow hunters to be more selective and atleast giving bucks a chance to get some age.

I'm not saying I'm right but I would like to hear your response.
Just to avoid "hijacking" BSK's thread here, I started a different one, in which much of the answer to your question has already posted. I will move your question over to. Thanks.
Link below:
http://www.tndeer.com/tndeertalk/ubbthr ... w=1#UNREAD

CZ284

Great post BSK. Thanks. Would be nice if you could put these in a "poster" format that could be downloaded and printed off. (Hint?)

tnclayboy

Ok ,Got one for ya Here is two pics of what I belieave to be the same deer one year apart .
First pic taken in 06, Second pic in 07 ,I was thinkingfirst pic 3 1/2 second 4 1/2 ,what do you think ??
pic8.jpg

PIC_0007.jpg

BSK

Very, very difficult to field-judge age in summer-time. The body conformation techniques used are based on bucks near the rut. But if I had to choose, I would agree 3 1/2 and 4 1/2.

BSK

canyonman said:
Bryan
In what way will last year's drought,E.H.D outbreak and mast failure effect our ability to accurately age deer this year?

Not at all. The "body shapes" used for field-judging age will be apparent no matter the bucks health. How much over-all body "mass" a buck has (body weight) will vary by his health, but the body "shape" will be unaffected. In essence, a undernurished mature buck will still look like a mature buck, be he may look unhealthy (ribs showing, etc.).

String Music

That is a good idea. Also, I think you could make a killing with a food plot poster. Including the time of year to plant, what to plant, where to plant, and pictures of what the plot should look like. Just a thought

Tiny

Just saw this,dang didn't think it had been that long since I opened this section,anyways darn good topic there BSK Thanks.

Latest posts